Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » GMC » Sierra » 2007 - Waiting for Power Steering Noise TSB

ShopTalk - Automotive Questions and Answers

2007 GMC Sierra 1500:
Waiting for Power Steering Noise TSB

By
Alex Steele
Save or Share Information
Print Page
E-mail Page

seen in Truck Trend

Question:

My 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 5.3-liter has a particular noise from one of the rotating components that is driven off the serpentine belt. The power steering pump, tensioner, alternator, serpentine belt have been replaced but the noise continues.

When the belt is removed the noise is not present. The dealer has provided me with a TSB for my complaint. The bulletin number is 06-02-32-010A. It offers no repairs but does acknowledge the mechanical complaint is related to the power steering system.

Would a synthetic power steering fluid make a change? Is there a better quality power steering pump available?

Answer:

It's a waiting game on the fix. GM Technical Service Bulletin #06-02-32-010A was published May 22, 2007, involving Chevy, GMC and Cadillac full-size 1500 series platforms. The condition is described as a low volume, high-pitched whistle noise occurring just off idle with a warm engine.

Engineers have determined that the noise is emanating from the steering gear (rack). Your noise stopped when the serpentine belt was removed from the power steering pump because pressure was no longer being applied to the gear. The TSB also states that it is a work-in-progress with no fix available at this time (but they're working on it).

I spoke directly with GMC service personnel to confirm that, as of 3-2-2009, there still has not been a follow-up service bulletin released. In the meantime, service departments have replaced steering gears to pacify customers, and it has fixed the problem, temporarily. The whistling seems to begin once a vehicle has reached about 20,000 odometer miles. So replacing the noisy rack with a new one (same part number as the original) is probably going to be a 20k mile fix -- as opposed to a modification (or modified gear) to repair the condition permanently.

Yes, it's been a while since the incomplete technical service bulletin first came out, and GM has a lot on its shoulders right now. I suggest contacting GMC customer support, maintaining friendly communication with your service department and touching base with them periodically for an update. The noise is coming from the gear, not the power steering pump, so replacing the pump is not recommended.

I've heard stories of synthetic power steering fluid helping out with typical power steering whining noises on older model GM trucks, but nothing pertaining to our mystery gear whistle. But, it would be inexpensive and couldn't hurt if you want to try it. Otherwise, turn up the radio and be patient.

www.realworldautomotive.com
or
Browse by:  
E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information

Need Help?

Get FREE Answers from our Technicians at the GMC Sierra 1500 Forum.

Comments:

Randy
19 Jul 2011, 08:31
Speedometer erratic, and RPM Gage not working, How much to fix and is this a problem with GM Sierra trucks
Admin
11 Aug 2010, 09:16
Please let us know what you find out!
Chris
10 Aug 2010, 15:19
Mine does the same thing going to get it checked out
Jim
12 Jun 2010, 23:32
same problem with mine

What's your opinion?

*Name:
*Email:
Notify me about new comments on this page
*Comment:

*Type characters in below (click image to refresh)
CODE

Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » GMC » Sierra » 2007 - Waiting for Power Steering Noise TSB
Save or Share Automotive Information
Custom Search