Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Chevrolet » Silverado » 2002 - Power Steering Pump Whining Noise, Fluid OK

ShopTalk - Automotive Questions and Answers

2002 Chevrolet Silverado:
Power Steering Pump Whining Noise, Fluid OK

By
Alex Steele
Save or Share Information
Print Page
E-mail Page

seen in Truck Trend

Question:

I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado with a power steering pump whining noise. I checked the fluid and it's OK. Also, at an idle when I turn the steering wheel it's like there is no power steering until I give it a little gas and bring up the rpm. Is it the power steering pump? If so, how hard is it to change?

Answer:

A whining noise and a lack of power assist certainly indicate a power steering pump gone bad. But I'm gonna recommend a more accurate confirmation of the failure before investing in any parts.

As a matter of fact, in 2006 General Motors completed an analysis of power steering pumps returned under warranty repair to discover a high number of "no trouble found" results. Common causes of conditions similar to what you're experiencing include contaminated (or incorrect) power steering fluid, a malfunctioning pressure relief valve, obstructed power steering hose/line, pulley improperly installed or a defective steering gear.

Every General Motors service department should have a Power Steering System Analyzer (J 44721). This is a mandatory special tool introduced in 2001 to assist in accurately diagnosing both power steering pumps and gears.

As far as pump replacement is concerned, cash labor time comes in at about 2.0 hours. If you're mechanically capable and have the special tools to remove and install the pump pulley, it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Again, have it pressure tested first.

www.realworldautomotive.com
or
Browse by:  
E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information

Need Help?

Get FREE Answers from our Technicians at the Chevrolet Silverado Forum.

Comments:

Admin
12 Oct 2015, 09:28
Not really. If the system is filled with a name brand, clean and correct PS fluid. Changing fluid is not going to help.
mike squire
07 Oct 2015, 12:12
Is there a at or higher spec. power steering fluid that will help such as Royal Purple or a Shell synthetic?
Admin
15 Oct 2012, 10:07
There's a special puller for the power steering pump pulley. It fits in the groove of the pulley hub.
gary
24 Sep 2012, 12:31
How do I get the pulley off? I have a 3 arm pulley remover but I can't get it off

What's your opinion?

*Name:
*Email:
Notify me about new comments on this page
*Comment:

*Type characters in below (click image to refresh)
CODE

Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Chevrolet » Silverado » 2002 - Power Steering Pump Whining Noise, Fluid OK
Save or Share Automotive Information
Custom Search