Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Ford » F-Series » 1998 - Engine Moan at Low RPM

ShopTalk - Automotive Questions and Answers

1998 Ford F-150:
Engine Moan at Low RPM

By
Alex Steele
Save or Share Information
Print Page
E-mail Page

as seen in Truck Trend

Question:

I have a 1998 F-150 4X4 with a 4.6L V8. The engine has a moan at low rpm. Ford has done a few things to it, but nothing helped. I understand they all do it, but it is very irritating. I would change the air intake system if I thought it would help.

P.S. I've been a mechanic for thirty years so I could try most anything.

Answer:

Thirty years? Your hands must be in worse shape than mine. We haven't heard of any intake related noises on the '98 F-150. But did your dealership's service department try clamping off the heater inlet hose while attempting to diagnose the problem?

Ford Technical Service Bulletin # 98-12-12 deals with a "moan" or "hooting" sound on acceleration or deceleration at 1200-2000 RPM. The sound is actually caused by water pump pulsations which travel through the inlet heater hose and into the passenger compartment. If the moan disappears with the inlet hose clamped off, then replace it with updated Part # F85Z-18472-AB. The new hose should dampen the pulsations and eliminate the problem.

Another possible cause of your moan is engine vibrations being transmitted through the exhaust system to the truck's chassis. Careful alignment of the exhaust system is crucial in eliminating a "binding" condition which prevents the exhaust from hanging freely and creates a path for vibrations to travel. Ford is in the process of releasing an updated procedure for improved diagnosis and repair of this type of complaint.

www.realworldautomotive.com
or
Browse by:  
E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information

Need Help?

Get FREE Answers from our Technicians at the Ford F-150 Forum.

Comments:

No comments yet

What's your opinion?

*Name:
*Email:
Notify me about new comments on this page
*Comment:

*Type characters in below (click image to refresh)
CODE

Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Ford » F-Series » 1998 - Engine Moan at Low RPM
Save or Share Automotive Information
Custom Search