Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Toyota » Land Cruiser » 1995 - Maintenance by the Book, Never Abused

ShopTalk - Automotive Questions and Answers

1995 Toyota Land Cruiser:
Maintenance by the Book, Never Abused

By
Alex Steele
Save or Share Information
Print Page
E-mail Page

seen in Truck Trend

Question:

I have a 1995 Toyota Land Cruiser. I have been running Mobil 1, 5W-30 at 5,000 mile intervals. The owner's manual recommends changing the oil every 7,500 miles under normal conditions or every 3,500 under severe conditions.

I am splitting the difference in mileage, but using very high quality oil. All other maintenance has been done by the book and this vehicle has never been abused. My question is how long will this truck last or how many miles before problems with the engine, transmission etc? Do you have any suggestions for work to be done that is worth the investment now versus the future repair expense? That is assuming I would keep it forever.

Answer:

Splitting the difference on the oil change intervals is a safe way to go in your situation. And the use of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil will aid in the long term protection of an engine.

By sticking with Toyota's recommended service schedule you're doing a great job of preventive maintenance. We cannot safely predict the life span of a pickup or SUV due to the tremendous amount of variable factors. So, it would not be a good idea to perform any expensive major repairs assuming this might be the first part to go as the mileage adds up.

Besides, as far as quality is concerned, you are at the top of the line with a Land Cruiser, and by keeping up with the prescribed maintenance you should see a lot of trouble-free miles ahead.

www.realworldautomotive.com