Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Ford » Windstar » 1995 - Door Ajar Light On, Alarm Goes Off

ShopTalk - Automotive Questions and Answers

1995 Ford Windstar:
Door Ajar Light On, Alarm Goes Off

By
Alex Steele
Save or Share Information
Print Page
E-mail Page

seen in Truck Trend

Question:

I have a 1995 Ford Windstar. When the van sits in the hot sun for a couple of hours, the door ajar light comes on and the alarm goes off until I accelerate to 15 mph. This makes it difficult to drive in the city, because at every stop light the alarm sounds.

I took the van in twice, under warranty, and the dealer could find nothing wrong. I took it in a third time to a different dealer who charged me $85 for an electrical check, and could find nothing wrong.

We have learned to park the van in the shade when possible, but would like to fix it.

Answer:

My first suggestion is to dig up the receipts from the dealer who failed to find the problem while the vehicle was still under the manufacturer's warranty. Then make a B-line back to that service department with the receipts in one hand, and Ford Technical Service Bulletin number 95-2-9 in the other.

This TSB was released in January of 1995, and was probably overlooked when you were in with the problem. Even though your warranty has expired, the dealer and Ford Motor Company should still make the repair at no charge. This is common practice as long as you have the complaint documented during the warranty period.

The service bulletin involves an internal failure of the contact terminal assembly located inside the van's sliding door. This will cause a false illumination of the dome lamp and door ajar warning lamp, or a false door chime, or anti-theft activation.

The fix is a fairly involved procedure which requires the replacement of the sliding door switch "contact terminal assembly plate" in the B-Pillar, and the "plunger contact terminal assembly" in the door itself. Once the job is completed, you can park wherever you want.

www.realworldautomotive.com
or
Browse by:  
E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information

Need Help?

Get FREE Answers from our Technicians at the Ford Windstar Forum.

Comments:

Admin
25 Oct 2010, 11:53
Hi aparadekto:

Thanks for your comment about problems viewing the site in Opera.

I viewed to this page and several others with the latest edition of Windows Opera, but I don't see any problems.

Could you please be more specific about the error (s), and what pages they appear?

Thanks again for your help!

Admin

aparadekto
25 Oct 2010, 11:16
Hey, I can't view your site properly within Opera, I actually hope you look into fixing this.
Admin
25 Mar 2010, 11:24
Hi Donnie:

I see you've already registered in our Forums. Please submit your question under a new topic in the appropriate make/model Forum.

Also try to provide as much info as possible -- make, model, year, engine, etc.

Might also be a good idea to submit 3 different topics -- one for each question (door ajar light, park brake/ABS light, trouble code)

Thanks.
donnie
25 Mar 2010, 10:55
my door ajar light stays on and my parking brake and abs light stay on. also have a code p0430 catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank2. I assume this is a oxygen sensor i hope when i check it what should the volts read and should car b turned off or on pls help thx

What's your opinion?

*Name:
*Email:
Notify me about new comments on this page
*Comment:

*Type characters in below (click image to refresh)
CODE

Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Ford » Windstar » 1995 - Door Ajar Light On, Alarm Goes Off
Save or Share Automotive Information
Custom Search