Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Jeep » Grand Cherokee » Brake Lights Do Not Turn Off

ShopTalk - Automotive Questions and Answers

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee:
Brake Lights Do Not Turn Off

By
Alex Steele
Save or Share Information
Print Page
E-mail Page

seen in Truck Trend

Question:

I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with a V8 and four wheel drive that I bought used about a year and a half ago. I love my truck, but there is an annoying problem. My brake lights sometimes do not turn off after I have released the brake pedal. It seems to be getting stuck because when I tap the brake pedal the lights go out. Of course when I got it checked out by the dealer they said they could not reproduce the problem.

Answer:

I wish every question was this easy. The fact that the lights go out when you tap on the pedal tells us that the brake light switch is either N/G, misadjusted or there's a slim chance of a shorted wiring harness in the immediate vicinity.

The technician should have visually inspected the brake pedal assembly, the switch and adjustment, eyeballed and jiggled the wiring harness to eliminate the possibility of a short and then, if nothing found, he should have strongly suggested the replacement of the brake light switch.

www.realworldautomotive.com