Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Chevrolet » C/K Pickup » 1994 - Aluminum Wheels Turned Yellow

ShopTalk - Automotive Questions and Answers

1994 Chevrolet C1500:
Aluminum Wheels Turned Yellow

By
Alex Steele
Save or Share Information
Print Page
E-mail Page

seen in Truck Trend

Question:

I have an unusual problem to which I hope you can give an answer. The factory standard 5-spoke aluminum wheels on my '94 Chevrolet C1500 have turned yellow in color, have started to peel in some places, and have discolored in other places.

I've used Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and Rust Remover, Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish, Simple Green, It's a Miracle, and Turpentine to try and remove this yellowish color. Nothing works. I'm looking for ideas and solutions short of purchasing new wheels.

Answer:

You can rub, buff, and polish all you want, but it's not going to help. The actual problem is a permanent discoloration in the clear/color coat, and/or Aluminum surface degradation.

The only proper repair is a complete refinishing by a professional. Most procedures begin with "Plastic Media Blasting" in order to strip each wheel down to bare Aluminum without destroying the smooth surface. You would then have a choice of materials and colors to work with on the new finish.

The cheapest way out for you would be finding a cleaner looking set of wheels at a junkyard. The correct and more expensive route is replacement with a set of properly resurfaced or brand new factory wheels.

You might want to check out Becker Hubcap & Wheels or Transwheel Corporation for prices on replacements, or the reconditioning of your current wheels.

www.realworldautomotive.com