Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Dodge » Ram Charger » 1993 - 5.2-liter Stalls at a Stop, Hot

ShopTalk - Automotive Questions and Answers

1993 Dodge Ram Charger:
5.2-liter Stalls at a Stop, Hot

By
Alex Steele
Save or Share Information
Print Page
E-mail Page

seen in Truck Trend

Question:

I drive a 1993 Dodge Ram Charger with the 5.2-liter V-8. It's got about 75,000 miles and has always run well until recently. Very often when I come to a stop the engine will stall. It also stalls right after I start it. The problem is only there when the engine is hot. It still runs great cold. I just did a complete tune-up, but it didn't help.

Answer:

A stall on decel and/or a hot restart can have a number of possibilities behind the problem. One of the basics to look for during the course of a tune-up is broken or cracked vacuum lines. A vacuum leak from any location will always have an adverse effect on idle quality. Another common culprit is an EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) Valve not seating properly, and feeding exhaust gas to the intake manifold when it shouldn't be, at idle.

Then it's time to hook up a computer scan tool and check for trouble codes, incorrect input and/or output data, and idle control circuit operations. After all the appropriate checks have been made and repairs completed, and the problem still exists, this would point to excessive carbon deposits on the back of the throttle plate (inside the throttle body assembly), or an IAC (Idle Air Control) valve fault.

Chrysler has had stalling conditions on the 3.9L, 5.2L and 5.9L engines that required replacement of the IAC motor with an updated unit after all other possible causes of the stall have been eliminated. The part number is 53030657, but be sure everything else is 100% before you buy one.

www.realworldautomotive.com
or
Browse by:  
E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information

Need Help?

Get FREE Answers from our Technicians at the Dodge Ram Charger Forum.

Comments:

No comments yet

What's your opinion?

*Name:
*Email:
Notify me about new comments on this page
*Comment:

*Type characters in below (click image to refresh)
CODE

Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Dodge » Ram Charger » 1993 - 5.2-liter Stalls at a Stop, Hot
Save or Share Automotive Information
Custom Search