Volvo XC70:

Blow head gasket ? Cracked head? Seals? How can I fix this?

You are not logged in.

# 1  9/1/2009 4:34 PM

jnewk1981

Blow head gasket ? Cracked head? Seals? How can I fix this?

My wife's car has been using coolant and we do know where its going to. No drops in the driveway so I figured she had a head gasket going. Well she has been filling the coolant with water when the light comes on but she must have forgot to last week and the car started to run hot when she stopped she noticed that the coolant cap had cracked and was bubbling over and out. The car does have white smoke but no sign of water in the oil... Car has no fluids running out the exhaust pipe either. After the problem with over heating the check engine
light came on so I scanned it and I got codes P0300 and P0302. So I pulled all the wires and plugs and cylinder #2 had lots of oil in it and there was a little bit of oil on top of the engine under the plastic cover. Of course cylinder #2's plug was fouled and oiled up. I need to know what the problem is so I can get to fixing it ASAP. Do you think its a blown head gasket? Cracked head? seals? I'm temporarily laid off from work right so I have time and would like to save the money in labor. I have two friends that are mechanic's who are willing to help here and there but I will be doing most of the work... If you think it is the head or head gasket how I go about removing the head? Does the engine need to be dropped to get the manifold off? Again my wife's car is a 1998 Volvo V70 XC70 Cross Country AWD wagon 5 cylinder 2.4 liter Turbo. Thanks in advance!!!

# 2  9/2/2009 2:34 AM

Administrator
Administrator

Re: Blow head gasket ? Cracked head? Seals? How can I fix this?

Sounds like we're talking oil on the plugs and coolant out the tailpipe, and neither are a good thing.

I would not take it apart before running some basic tests. Number one is pressurizing each cylinder to see which one allows the compressed air to bubble up in the radiator. Then you pull the cylinder head and examine the gasket, and check warpage and cracks.

But if you're getting oil on the plugs also, I'd do a compression test to check out that condition too.

You probably have to tear down the engine anyway, but it's always good to have a heads-up before going in. And if you're gonna do the job, don't do it without the right service information.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.