Mercury Mariner:

Automatic trans acting like a manual trans

You are not logged in.

# 1  7/14/2009 5:16 PM

Nunya

Automatic trans acting like a manual trans

I have a 2005 Mercury Mariner with an automatic transmission.  Sometimes when coming to a stop, the vehicle will act like a manual transmission and that I didn't push in the clutch...meaning that the car will start to "buck" (mildly) and the engine will die.

Any ideas?

# 2  7/14/2009 9:36 PM

Administrator
Administrator

Re: Automatic trans acting like a manual trans

Hi Nunya,

Good description of the problem. Sounds like the lock-up torque converter is not disengaging. The converter locks the transmission to the engine at highway speeds to aid in fuel economy, but disengages when you slow down or accelerate. Staying locked at low speeds is typically a problem with the lock-up torque converter solenoid, however, there have been issues on the Mariner with the transmission's torque converter itself failing and causing a similar problem. Technical Service Bulletin # 07-5-6 describes the problem and the fix. If you unbolt the torque converter from the flywheel, it should be easy to rotate. If it's difficult, the TSB recommends replacing the torque converter with modified part number 8L8Z-7902-AXT-5-QM. You might be better off having a dealership or transmission shop diagnose the problem and make sure the TSB applies to your particular vehicle, first.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  7/15/2009 4:00 PM

Nunya

Thanks for the help.  It doesn't do it very often, so I hope it is something simple to fix.  If it was only myself driving it, I could live with it...as long as it doesn't get any worse.  However, my 16 year old daughter just got her license and will be driving it at times and I'm concerned she will have a bit of trouble if it happens to her.

# 4  7/15/2009 6:10 PM

Administrator
Administrator

The Technical Service Bulletin about the bad torque converter did mention that the problem may be intermittent. But you really should get it fixed. Sooner or later somebody's gonna get stuck.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.