Chevrolet Malibu:

A/C problem 2003 Malibu 6cyl

You are not logged in.

# 1  5/15/2009 4:40 PM

falconlll

A/C problem 2003 Malibu 6cyl

Clutch on A/C compressor will not engage, I have checked all fuses and relays that I can find, all check ok or have been replaced with known working ones. I know that GM used to use an inline fuse, but know if they still do.
Need some suggestions.

Thank you

JR

# 2  5/15/2009 6:01 PM

Administrator
Administrator

Re: A/C problem 2003 Malibu 6cyl

Clutch on A/C compressor will not engage, I have checked all fuses and relays that I can find, all check ok or have been replaced with known working ones. I know that GM used to use an inline fuse, but know if they still do.
Need some suggestions.

Thank you

JR

Hey JR,

No inline fuse on this one. If the problem is confirmed to be an electric fault, start with a 12volt test light connected inline with the compressor clutch connector terminals. If it lights up with the A/C on, it's a bad clutch. If it does not, check for a ground on one terminal, 12volts on the other, and trace back the circuit of the missing element. Basically, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) looks at the "A/C on" signal from the control head on the dash, and the refrigerant pressure signal from the refrigerant pressure sensor (3 wire connector, mounted to a refrigerant line above the coolant fan). If everything looks copasetic, the PCM supplies a ground circuit to the compressor relay, which connects voltage from 10amp fuse "A/C BFC" to the clutch itself (fuse and relay are located in the underhood fuse block). If you're not real familiar with DC testing you may want to get some help. With that said, the most common cause of an A/C compressor clutch not engaging is a refrigerant leak. The refrigerant pressure sensor signals "low pressure". Therefore the PCM will not engage the clutch in order to protect the compressor. Correct system pressure is usually the first thing I check.

Hope that helps.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.