GMC Sierra 1500 / 2500 / 3500:

My truck is throwing codes

You are not logged in.

# 1  12/9/2019 12:21 AM

Cheri

My truck is throwing codes

I have a question for you pros out there for a code my truck is throwing?
I have a 2013 GMC Sierra Z71 Pickup.  My grandsons friend used a code reader to try and find out why my engine light is on.  The codes read as follows:

P2273(2/3) Stored  02 Sensor Signal stuck Rich bank 2, Sensor 2

and

P013C(1/3) Stored  02 Sensor Slow response-Rich to Lean Bank 2 Sensor 2 DTC Severity 2 of 3 : Repair immediately if drivability issues.

I already had a neighbor change all my 02 sensors so I dont want to ask him again.  I want to try and fix this by myself if possible. Can some one please tell me what I need to buy and where it goes so I can fix it..I am way in the country and cannot take a chance in my vehicle going down. I appreciate any info you can give me.  Thank You Cheri

# 2  12/9/2019 3:33 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: My truck is throwing codes

The PO13C is a slow response code which could be caused by the engine running too rich which would cause drivability problems like poor performance and black smoke coming out of the exhaust from running too rich. This could lead to a bad catalytic converter.

If the truck is running well then you may have a wiring problem like a grounded or burnt wire or open wire at one of the O2 sensor wire harnesses particularly the sensors after the catalytic converters. 

The P2273 DTC refers to downstream O2sensor (after the catalytic converter), sensor #2 on bank #2. Bank #2 is the side of the engine that does not contain the #1 cylinder. 

PO2273 relates to Contaminated or failed HO2S2 (Sensor 2) HO2S2 wiring/circuit problem, fuel pressure incorrect, faulty fuel injector, engine coolant leak, faulty purge solenoid valve or the PCM has failed.

If the wiring is faulty repair this first. If The wire harness and connector are good then you would need to check fuel pressure (causing the engine to run rich or burn too much gas). check the EVAP system purge valve, if this is faulty it could allow a rich fuel condition. A bad fuel injector can cause a rich fuel condition and a coolant leak like antifreeze burning inside the engine could cause a contaminated O2 sensor could also set this code. This part is probably unlikely because you changed the O2 sensors.

This could be a difficult problem to fix it requires a professional scan tool, digital volt meter, fuel pressure testing equipment and wiring schematics. If you don't have someone who is experienced in automotive repair it may be a job for a professional.

I hope this information helps.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  12/9/2019 4:50 PM

Cheri

oh my goodness! so I should get under the truck and look for a burnt wire first? Then after that I should change out the sensor behind the cat converter? is this correct?

# 4  12/9/2019 6:41 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Changing the sensor behind the catalytic converter might fix the problem but that would be just a guess without checking all of the items I listed first.

It may or may not be a burnt wire it could be a broken wire, grounded wire, poor connection at the plug of the sensor behind the converter.

If the engine is running good and fuel milage is normal and there are no drivability issues and no black smoke then this might fix the problem. It's still a guess but may work.

With a professional scanner the Technician would look at the sensors before the catalytic converter and after. This will tell him if the engine is running properly and if the converter is good or not. If you changed the other sensors already before the converter the ones after the converter would need to be looked at especially the one behind the converter on the #2 bank which would be the side opposite the side #1 cylinder.

In the most common method for cylinder numbering of a V8 engine, when facing the engine from the front of the car, the cylinder on your actual right side and closest to you is the number one cylinder. All odd-numbered cylinders are on your actual right side, while all the even numbers are on your left side. 

You take your chances of spending more money when you just change parts without the proper diagnosis.

I hope this information helps. Good luck.

realworldautomotive.com

# 5  12/9/2019 9:35 PM

Administrator
Administrator

Cheri wrote:

I have a question for you pros out there for a code my truck is throwing?
I have a 2013 GMC Sierra Z71 Pickup.  My grandsons friend used a code reader to try and find out why my engine light is on.  The codes read as follows:

P2273(2/3) Stored  02 Sensor Signal stuck Rich bank 2, Sensor 2

and

P013C(1/3) Stored  02 Sensor Slow response-Rich to Lean Bank 2 Sensor 2 DTC Severity 2 of 3 : Repair immediately if drivability issues.

I already had a neighbor change all my 02 sensors so I dont want to ask him again.  I want to try and fix this by myself if possible. Can some one please tell me what I need to buy and where it goes so I can fix it..I am way in the country and cannot take a chance in my vehicle going down. I appreciate any info you can give me.  Thank You Cheri

Hey Cheri,

What engine in your GMC?

You said a friend replaced ALL the O2 sensors. Does that mean all four, and replacement did not fix the problem? Sensor 1/Bank 1, Sensor 2/Bank 1, Sensor 1/Bank 2 and Sensor 2/Bank 2.

realworldautomotive.com

# 6  12/9/2019 10:23 PM

Cheri

Yes all the sensors were replaced already.  The muffler guy here in the town I live in told me Im still having the problem because whoever changed the sensors before didn't use OEM sensors..  He said they probably got cheaper ones and that makes a difference.  I do not have the ability to take my vehicle in to a shop at this time.. its running fine and theres no black smoke just the engine light is illuminated.  also the engine light goes off at times and stays off sometimes for several days then it just randomly comes back on.  I think it happens mostly when the engine is hot it seems like, but if I leave the truck sit for a couple days then start it again the light is off.  but then comes back on within a week or two.  Im going to see if someone around here can show me how to use the lift in my shop and then look for that bad wire or whatever.  I have to fix this myself some how. I appreciate all the information you all here have given me.  I will do my best to try all those things first and will see if that fixes it..

# 7  12/9/2019 11:27 PM

Administrator
Administrator

OK. ALL the O2 sensors were previously replaced.

Previously, meaning a period of time before you began getting these two trouble codes?

Or did the problem start immediately after they put these sensors in? If so, did you get the same exact trouble codes with the new sensors as before they were replaced.

realworldautomotive.com

# 8  12/10/2019 1:58 PM

Cheri

It started with the engine light coming on.  I took it to Beaman GMC in Nashville  they wanted to much to replace the 02 sensors which is what they said the problem was.  so I got someone to change them for me.  it was all good for a couple months then the engine light came back on.  the codes are reading the same as before the sensors were replaced. my engine is the 5.4 I believe

# 9  12/10/2019 2:00 PM

Cheri

also I did look under the truck and followed the wires  I did not see a broken wire or one that looked burnt.

# 10  12/11/2019 12:41 PM

Administrator
Administrator

It's odd that the same codes would come back with the replacement sensors. Typically bank one and bank two (left and right) sensors are interchangable. If that's the case switching the suspect sensor to the other side, clearing the codes, and seeing what codes return is a good way to go. If the code then shows a failure on the other side, we know the sensor is bad.

realworldautomotive.com

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.