Lincoln Town Car:

When ignition switch turned on, all power shuts down.

You are not logged in.

# 1  11/5/2016 6:02 AM

Kingfish

When ignition switch turned on, all power shuts down.

1993 Lincoln Town Car.  Car has been garaged for 7 years with battery removed.  Ran perfect before.  Installed new battery, turned key to accessories.  All dash, clock, lights, airbags, etc. everything works.  When the key is turned to ignition/start, all power shuts down, no interior power, nothing, dead.  I went back an hour later and ran through the same procedure, same result.  Interior power worked on accessories but all power shuts down on start.  I have not tested anything so far.  Any help would be appreciated on what is causing the shutdown.

# 2  11/5/2016 11:36 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: When ignition switch turned on, all power shuts down.

It sounds like a poor connection in the area of the battery cables. Clean the battery connections with a wire brush or terminal cleaner and also check the connections at the starter for a clean and tight connection. There is also the battery ground cable that goes to the engine and the body, make sure they are clean and tight.

Try these suggestions and get back to me with your results. We can diagnosis the problem further if needed.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  11/5/2016 10:39 PM

Kingfish

I re-cleaned the battery cable connectors and tightened securely.  I disconnected the wires to the starter solenoid, cleaned and re-attached.  Checked ground wires to block and frame.  I cleaned and reconnected the ground wire to the frame.  No rust was evident anywhere as the car has been out of the weather in the garage.
Turned the ignition key and the engine started like magic.  Thanks for the suggestions and responding quickly.

# 4  11/6/2016 1:45 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Your welcome, we are here when you need us.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.