Mercedes-Benz M-Class:

transmission

You are not logged in.

# 1  9/13/2016 12:23 AM

wcspud01@gmail.com

transmission

I have a 2004 mb ml350.  Bought it a month ago.  I disconnected the battery to disable the right door air bag prior to changing the door lock.  A few days later my automatic transmission stopped shifting from low gear after stopping at a stop sign.  When I shut the engine off and restart, the transmission shifts normally.  This has happened several times. Please help me understand the problem and how to fix it.  Also, how do you get the lock pin off the transmission dip stick to check the fluid level.  Thanks for your time.  Wayne

Last edited by wcspud01@gmail.com (9/13/2016 12:26 AM)

# 2  9/13/2016 11:21 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: transmission

I have the procedure on checking the transmission fluid below. It appears that a special tool (dip stick) is required.

As of the shift problem you may need to have the transmission system scanned for trouble codes and proper operation with a scan tool. The scan tool can tell the mechanic if all of the shift solenoids are working properly or if there are any other issues going on with the transmission and or control system.

Electronically controlled five speed automatic transmission 722.6 is filled with a newly developed special transmission fluid and is considered to be "filled for life", ie: does not require fluid level checking or fluid change during scheduled maintenance procedures.

No other fluid may be filled or added into transmission 722.6.
This fluid is not approved for use in any other automatic transmission series.

If checking transmission, fluid level becomes necessary due to repairs or diagnosis, please observe the following information:

B 80°C (180°F)
A 25°C (77°F)

722.6 transmission dip stick, special tool no. 140 589 15 21 00, is longer than is required to permit use on several different applications.

Insert dipstick only as far as end stop permits.

Please observe all fluid level checking and filling guidelines.

NOTE: Red locking clip (93a) (Part number 140 991 00 55) will break off and be destroyed during replacement each time it is removed.

© 2016 ALLDATA LLC.

https://www.realworldautomotive.com/forums/uploads/thumbs/174_62447049.gif

722.6 Trans Dipstick

AST tool# M 7226

For checking ATF level. Applicable: Mercedes models with 722.6 transmission; 1997 thru 2005, or 2006, depending on vehicle equipment. Comparable to MB #140 589 15 21 00

Transmission Dipstick
Applicable to Mercedes-Benz
Contact AST for pricing.

Assenmacher Specialty Tools
1-800-525-2943

https://www.realworldautomotive.com/forums/uploads/thumbs/174_169309511.jpg

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  9/29/2016 8:51 PM

wcspud01@gmail.com

Thankyou sir for the transmission advice.  Furthermore:  I got my transmission scanned at O'riellys, got error code P0715 (conductor plate).  How much trouble is it to replace the conductor plate.  I'm a shade tree mechanic with a professional desire to fix what is wrong with my Ml350 auto transmission.  Is the speed sensor attached to the conductor plate?  Is P0715 error code a definite indicator of the conductor plate being bad?  How about the transmission (TCM) control module?  Does P0715 point towards anything else (as being bad) other than the conductor plate.  Finally, I bought this vehicle 4 weeks ago from a used car dealer.  I got it for my 16 year old son.  I would like to fix the vehicle for my son as I believe it is a safe vehicle for him to drive.  Thanks for any input to this repair problem that you provide. 

Wayne --

# 4  9/30/2016 10:55 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Isn't there a warrantee from the dealer? You may want to consider going to a transmission shop if the dealer you bought the vehicle from won't cover this. This can get a little complicated and special tools may be needed.

This is the flow chart for checking the code Po715.

https://www.realworldautomotive.com/forums/uploads/thumbs/174_111871155.gif

The valve body for the transmission has to be removed to replace the speed sensor. I have a picture of the valve body below. Hope this helps.

https://www.realworldautomotive.com/forums/uploads/thumbs/174_113618264.jpg

Chart and picture form the Alldata automotive information website.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 5  10/3/2016 8:14 PM

wcspud01@gmail.com

Thank you for your invaluable information.  I am very grateful for your time and expertize.  Wayne

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.