Kia Spectra:

Please help

You are not logged in.

# 1  6/10/2016 3:41 AM

vtriplett28

Please help

Hi, If someone can please help! A few days ago my son put diesel gas in my 2006 Kia Spectra now my car will not turn over like the battery is dead but after given it a boost it will not turn over. Does this mean I need to replace the fuel pump?  Please some one help me.

# 2  6/10/2016 10:22 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Please help

No but the whole fuel system has to be drained and the fuel lines flushed out and the fuel filter changed to make sure there is no more diesel left in the system.

As of the dead battery that could be another problem that would need to be diagnosed when you take your car in for the fuel system flush.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  6/13/2016 11:50 PM

Administrator
Administrator

Hey, When the engine stopped running on diesel the cylinders may have become full of the unburnt diesel fuel. This can cause a "hydrostatic lock" and prevent the engine from turning over.

Remove the spark plugs and crank the engine. See if it now spins and diesel come flying out the spark plug holes.

realworldautomotive.com

# 4  6/22/2016 4:37 PM

vtriplett28

So, will I have to remove the gas tank still?

# 5  6/23/2016 12:26 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

You usually don't have to take the fuel tank down unless the fuel pump is damaged by the diesel gumming up the pump.

Try to get as much of the diesel out of the tank by siphoning the diesel fuel out with a hose. Change the fuel filter and put fresh gas in the tank. Then try to get as much of that out of the tank by the same method. Fill with fresh gas.

Try to start the car, it might be hard to start but it eventually will. It will run bad and smoke a lot. Try to keep it running until it runs better and smokes less then fill the tank and put a fuel injector cleaner in the new gas to help further clean out the diesel from the injectors.

This being done by a professional could cost from 100 to 500 dollars and maybe more depending on the damage done by the diesel fuel.

realworldautomotive.com

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.