Pontiac Grand Prix:

Diagnosing a stuck key in the ignition switch lock cylinder

You are not logged in.

# 1  3/1/2016 3:50 AM

dwbdwb1

Diagnosing a stuck key in the ignition switch lock cylinder

I can't get the key out of the lock cylinder upon shutoff intermittently. I've checked the shifter connector and wires and nothing obvious. I've checked the brake/shifter connector but nothing very obviously. Installed an after market radio/stereo/bluetooth unit but not sure that has anything to do with it all (anti-theft deterrent system)... Some say it's the lock cylinder but I would like to prove the true problem. Is there any help you can offer for the solution so a screwdriver doesn't have to be used through the underside hole to the release "plunger" when it happens? Thanks.
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 3.8L engine

Last edited by dwbdwb1 (3/1/2016 3:52 AM)

# 2  3/1/2016 11:27 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Diagnosing a stuck key in the ignition switch lock cylinder

A simple way you can try is to take WD40 and give a little shot inside the key slot then work the key in and out first then turn the key on and off to work the lubricant into the lock cylinder. This may help; if it doesn't work then you would need to replace the lock cylinder.

Try this and get back to me with your results.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  3/2/2016 12:31 PM

Administrator
Administrator

When you say the key does not come out. Do you mean it won't come out because the lock cylinder isn't turning all the way back to the off/lock position? If so, that would indicate a problem with the ignition interlock system (prevents you from removing key when not in park), and not the lock cylinder itself.

realworldautomotive.com

# 4  4/23/2016 1:53 AM

dwbdwb1

Hi,

The problem has returned after the WD40 solution. I retried the WD40 and I have to write back. I am lost regarding what the ignition interlock system is... can't find any information on it. Please update me for a solution at this point.

Don

Last edited by dwbdwb1 (4/23/2016 2:40 AM)

# 5  4/23/2016 4:45 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

You mentioned that you installed an aftermarket radio. You should check the wiring you did for the radio. A lot of problems with electrical issues are sometimes related to the after market installer splicing wires to a system in the car and these cause unwanted voltage issues or ground issues. The reason I am mentioning this because the brake interlock system is a plunger that stops the driver from putting the car into gear unless he puts his foot on the brake pedal with the car running, once the driver does put his foot on the brake the plunger releases giving the driver the ability to put the vehicle into gear. If the plunger is malfunctioning you may not be able to put the vehicle into park causing the problem, then you need a screw driver to push the plunger to completely put into park and take the key out.

Check your wiring I am sending you a schematic of the brake interlock system and see if any of your wires are connected to something else like computer grounds, power from other circuits and so on.

https://www.realworldautomotive.com/forums/uploads/thumbs/174_101701994.gif

Check this out, if it checks OK then you may need to replace the lock cylinder.

Get back to us when you can and let us know how you made out. We can diagnosis the problem further if needed.

realworldautomotive.com

# 6  4/28/2016 2:13 AM

dwbdwb1

I'm considering what you said and what you sent but not a lot of progress yet. The grounds I used were mostly to the black wire in the harness and one to the chassis. Maybe there are to many grounds into the harness? Also, and there is a backup camera installed to the stop light, a part of the brake pedal switch, but no problems before with the wiring. I replaced the radio again but everything is wired the same except the ground wiring. Also, an MHL power cable shorted out because I broke it and started smoking. I have since replaced it but I can say the intermittent issue came back after the smoking of the broken wire end.
Maybe I should wait a little longer for the system to reset with the replaced MHL cable?

# 7  4/28/2016 7:07 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Check all of your wiring, and change your grounds to chassis grounds to help diagnosis this problem. The camera system is installed to the brake switch which is also part of the lock solenoid circuit.

If you have to disconnect all of the wiring you did then do it and slowly return the wiring one at a time to help determine which wire is causing the malfunction.

This is hard to diagnosis without seeing the actual problem. You can take the cover off the shifter to see if you have the full movement of the solenoid. You can also check the adjustment of the shift cable; if it goes into park make sure it is moving far enough so you can remove the key.

One simple way to get this checked out is to have a lock smith look at the problem and let him determine if the problem is the lock cylinder or the shift solenoid lock system.

realworldautomotive.com

# 8  4/29/2016 4:09 AM

dwbdwb1

I have one ground to the chassis at the metal frame of the dash. Is that a good enough place to tie the grounds into and would there be a certain amount of shock factor to the rest of the car at any point on it?

# 9  4/29/2016 10:32 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

The ground at the chassis of the dash is fine and there should be no worry about a shock factor. You can use other parts of the metal frame of the dash as long as they are properly grounded to the body.

realworldautomotive.com

# 10  5/3/2016 5:11 AM

dwbdwb1

Thanks for reply #9. I reviewed the wiring again and everything looked in order. I started to trace my steps and found that I had not re-programmed the "Axxess Steering Wheel Module". So I proceeded to do that and I didn't get too far making any buttons work but in the process the ignition didn't get stuck. I disconnected the module from the connector and ignition didn't work right again. Reconnected the connector to the module again and it hasn't been a problem since. Now I don't know if it will return since I can't program the buttons. I was able to get the volume controls to work before I replaced the unit but now none of the buttons work. Can you advise me on programming the Axxess module? I believe I'm following the given instructions. Thanks again for the continued helps...

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.