Pontiac Grand Prix:

Top Engine Torque Mounts

You are not logged in.

# 1  2/5/2016 6:55 AM

dwbdwb1

Top Engine Torque Mounts

Hi,

I decided to start a new post even though I still couldn't program the key FOB.

The 2002 Grand Prix GT 3.8L K engine needs replacement of the torque mounts. Could you post the instructions for replacing the mounts? It looks like the radiator is in the way so I should ask you for assistance. Thank you.

Don

# 2  2/5/2016 11:33 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Top Engine Torque Mounts

Is this the part you want to replace? It is called the engine mount strut and the engine mount strut bracket. I am showing you the picture below.

https://www.realworldautomotive.com/forums/uploads/thumbs/174_98853535.gif

If this the part then the procedure is listed below. If this in not the part then tell me where the mount is because the name you are giving me is not listed in the manual under the name you are giving me.

Removal Procedure:

1. Remove the bolt and the nut from the engine mount strut and the engine mount strut bracket.

2. Remove the bolt and the nut from the engine mount strut at the engine mount strut bracket on the upper radiator support.

3. Remove the engine mount strut.

4. Inspect the rubber in the engine mount strut for the following conditions: Hardness, Splitting, Cracking.

Installation Procedure:

1. Install the engine mount strut.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

2. Install the bolt and the nut to the engine mount strut at the engine mount strut bracket on the upper radiator support.

3. Tighten the engine mount strut bolt to 48 Nm (35 ft. lbs.) .

4. Install the bolt and the nut to the engine mount strut and the engine mount strut bracket.

5. Tighten the engine mount strut nut to 48 Nm (35 ft. lbs.).

© 2016 ALLDATA LLC.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  2/9/2016 5:48 AM

dwbdwb1

It's the "bracket" that attaches to the frame that I'm interested in knowing about. The part highlighted in the image is the part but the other end, the "bracket".

# 4  2/9/2016 2:04 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

If this is the picture of the mount you are talking about that is mounted on top of the radiator support then the radiator does not need to come out. There are two of them one to the left of the engine and the other to the right. Which one do you want to change?

Please be more specific your description is confusing you are saying that this is the bracket in the picture and you are interested in the mount on the frame but the other side.

There are seven mounts and brackets.

realworldautomotive.com

# 5  2/11/2016 10:53 AM

dwbdwb1

Yes the brackets that are mounted to the top of the radiator support, both left and right. Each mounts' have two bolts on top and the replacement ones have two threaded welded nuts for the underneath...

# 6  2/11/2016 11:57 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

This is the procedure from the Alldata website. I posted a picture below of the mounts on the radiator support.

Engine Mount Strut Bracket Replacement - Upper Radiator Support

Removal Procedure

Remove the engine mount strut(s) from the engine mount strut bracket(s) at the upper radiator support.

Remove the 4 bolts from the engine mount strut bracket to the upper radiator support.
Remove the engine mount strut bracket from the upper radiator support.
Installation Procedure

Position the engine mount strut bracket over the upper radiator support so the engine mount strut bracket and the engine mount strut are aligned. Align the engine mount strut bracket with the proper holes of the upper radiator support.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

Install the 4 bolts through the engine mount strut bracket to the upper radiator support.
Tighten the engine mount strut bracket bolts to 28 Nm (21 ft. lbs.).

Install the engine mount strut(s) to the engine mount strut bracket(s) at the upper radiator support.

https://www.realworldautomotive.com/forums/uploads/thumbs/174_98853736.gif

realworldautomotive.com

# 7  2/24/2016 10:18 AM

dwbdwb1

TWO BOLT HEADS WERE VISIBLE THROUGH HOLES THAT WEREN'T OBVIOUS AT FIRST LOOK THAT'S WHY THE QUESTION. ALSO, THE BOLTS HAD RUST AND WERE NOT EASY TO TIGHTEN SO THEY BECAME OVER TORQUE AND STRIPPED THE THREADS ON THE BOLT AND/OR THE NUT. THE BOLTS PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE BEEN REPLACED. FORTUNATELY THERE WAS ENOUGH TORQUE AVAILABLE TO NOT HAVE TO REPLACE THE NEW BRACKETS. THANKS AGAIN.

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.