Pontiac Grand Prix:

No Start condition and No PCM communications

You are not logged in.

# 1  10/27/2015 7:25 PM

dwbdwb1

No Start condition and No PCM communications

Hello again,

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 3.1L won't start? Fuel and spark check, no error codes and no communications with PCM/BCM. The driver side power window may have been shorted out by accident to check if it works since the switch's mechanics wore out and it won't work at all now. Also, previously got error codes for  transmission range sensor which was replaced and car ran as usual, crankshaft position sensor and anti theft deterrent system. Got a code last Sunday for PCM bad and Wednesday morning no start. Replaced CPS and still no start. Don't know much about the anti-theft system to talk much about intelligently but some time ago I attempted to replace the key FOB and the instructions were similar to the owner's manual, come to find out, and was unsuccessful with having the new FOB work. Just tried to reset/relearn the key to system for 10 minutes until the red light goes out, then turn off, then start, and was supposed to have a blinking red light but it never blinked. Also have an ABS light again but suspect it is for a wheel speed sensor/bearing replacement.

Do you have a text number too?

Thank you for any help.

# 2  10/27/2015 9:31 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: No Start condition and No PCM communications

Check all of your fuses, if you shorted out the window motor you could have blown some fuses. If the PCM and or BCM fuses are blown it could indicate a communication problem.

According to the information you gave me you said you have spark at all cylinders and have fuel pressure is this correct? Go back to basics, check for spark, check fuel pressure if both check out then diagnosis the security system.

Your relearning attempt could have failed or there are other problems in the system. Try another key if it is available. Common problems are bad keys or faulty ignition key switch. If I remember correctly if the key is in the run position the security light should be on steady. A blinking light would indicate a problem.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  10/27/2015 10:30 PM

dwbdwb1

All fuses checked good. The security system again is an area I know little about but the system light will blink quickly-like when the door is open and without the key in ignition and the only time it will blink, slowly, is when the vehicle is left and locked up. There was no light at all with key in ignition, no matter the position it was in. Also, I don't recall the light ever being on all the time no matter what was happening.

Is the relearn procedure correct as I described what I did? There is a second key but it is not a GM key but it says Axxess+ and the other side says 14R2. Would you think I should try to relearn this second key?

Thanks

# 4  10/28/2015 3:34 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

If you have a noid light use it to check the fuel injector signal at the fuel injector. With the light inserted in the fuel injector connector crank the engine over and see if the light flashes. If it is not flashing then you have a security system problem or as you said in a previous post a bad PCM.

When you tried to program the remotes it may be in the lock mode where the security system is on and won't send the fuel signal to the fuel injectors causing a no start. Try these suggestions below.

Try to synchronize the keyless remotes by doing this first.

In order to resynchronize the transmitter, press and hold the transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for at least 7 seconds, or until the following condition is present, the horn sounds 3 times. Perform the transmitter resynchronization procedure if the following conditions exist: The batteries on the keyless entry transmitter have been replaced. A keyless entry transmitter is malfunctioning. If this doesn't work then try to reprogram the remotes with the procedure below.

This is the reprogramming procedure for your vehicle remotes.

Once entering this procedure, programming the first transmitter erases all previous transmitters. You must program all transmitters.
Program one vehicle at a time. One transmitter could be programmed into other vehicles that are also on program mode in close proximity.

1. Pull the MALL PGM Fuse.

2. Turn the ignition switch to the ACC position. The seat belt indicator flashes and the chime sounds 2, 3 or 4 time . This action identifies which type of BCM, is installed on the vehicle. Check that the BCM installed on the vehicle is compatible with all of the features on the vehicle. Keyless entry requires BCM type 3 or 4.

3. Turn the ignition switch from the ACC position to the OFF position, then back to the ACC position within 1 second. This action causes the BCM to enter the diagnostic/program mode. The BCM may flash and chime Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) . The number of flashes and chimes equals the DTC number. If there are DTCs in memory, record the DTCs. Then refer to Body Control Module Diagnostic Information in Body Control System for more information.

4. Open and close any vehicle door. You should hear a chime if you are in the diagnostic/program mode. If unable to enter diagnostics, refer to Body Control Module Diagnostic Information in Body Control System for more information.

5. Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons at the same time on the keyless entry transmitter for 14 seconds. At the 7-second mark, you may hear a chime. This chime feedback indicates that the transmitter has been resynchronized. Continue holding the lock arid unlock buttons until hearing another chime sound at the 14-second mark. This chime feedback indicates that the transmitter has been programmed successfully.

6. Repeat step 5 for the rest of the transmitters (for a total of 4 transmitter). Exit the BCM diagnostics/programming mode: Turning the ignition switch to the LOCK position. Reinstall the MALL PGM Fuse.

This is a complicated system and since you were doing things to it that now don't work you may need to have a professional diagnosis of the system.

Some information provided by Alldata Automotive information website

realworldautomotive.com

# 5  10/29/2015 2:16 AM

dwbdwb1

So I just went to the program/relearn part of the instructions and I got 5 chimes and 6 flashes and didn't know what that meant. Then went to the hold down the lock and unlock at the same time for 14/15 seconds and at the 7 second mark got a quick beep from the car. Basically then, tried to start the car and it started. Don't know exactly why it started but guessing it was the holding down the buttons. Don't know why the theft deterrent shut down the start process also... I just read that the radio is locked into the theft feature and changed the radio out several years ago but never had this issue before?

Thankful for your help again.

# 6  12/17/2015 6:47 PM

dwbdwb1

Are those programming instructions with the key FOB the same for a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 3.8L? I need to add a FOB to the replacement car. Thx

# 7  12/18/2015 11:44 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Yes the programming of the key fobs should be the same. If you have any problems get back to me when you can, we can go over the procedure together.

realworldautomotive.com

# 8  12/20/2015 9:21 PM

dwbdwb1

I was checking for codes at random, setting up the Bluetooth code reader, and found two stored codes... B1000 and P1637. Should I be concerned? There are no issues yet but I don't want to pass on a fix if it's needed. Thanks

# 9  12/21/2015 1:47 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

DTC B1000 is an indication of a potential internal Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) malfunction. This code will set if an airbag deployment is commanded or upon detection of any condition that may indicate a problem in the system.

Usually you can't erase the code and need to replace the module.

PO 1637 is the L terminal circuit in the alternator. Check all of your connections, if all of the connections look good  remove the alternator and have it tested.

Check the codes again because when I checked the code PO1637 for your 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 3.1 engine the code was not listed. I got the code description from the complete list of Pontiac codes.

Get back to me if you need any extra help.

realworldautomotive.com

# 10  12/21/2015 1:58 AM

dwbdwb1

I should have started a new post... the car is the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 3.8L engine. So I should look into replacing the airbag? Which one?
And have the alternator checked?

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.