Chevrolet HHR:

turn signal turns on automatically

You are not logged in.

#1 5/10/2015 7:55 PM

jb35007

turn signal turns on automatically

I have a 2006 chevy hhr and the left turn signal comes on by "itself" intermittently  I tried disconnecting the turn signal lever and I still happens then I disconnected the turn signal lever and the hazard switch, still have the problem only way I have found to turn off the turn signal when this happens is to slap the dash. Any idea what could be making the left turn signal to randomly turn on by itself???

Chevrolet HHR Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 5/10/2015 11:36 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: turn signal turns on automatically

On the multifunction switch check for voltage on the Yellow/Black wire cavity G on plug C2 when the problem happens. If the directional switch is off and the left directional is on and you have voltage on the yellow/black wire then in most cases the multifunction switch would be faulty.

From the information you supplied where you slap the dash board to make it stop. Find the body computer and tap it to see if the directional stops. If you tap the body computer and it stops then the body computer may be faulty.

Check wire connectors for loose connections on multifunction switch and body computer plugs.

The body computer is in front of the shift handle inside the center console.

If you need more help get back to me with your results, we can diagnosis the problem further.

I supplied diagrams below form the Alldata information website.

https://www.realworldautomotive.com/forums/uploads/thumbs/174_126041955.gif

https://www.realworldautomotive.com/forums/uploads/thumbs/174_126039083.gif

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#3 5/10/2015 11:46 PM

jb35007

How can it be the switch if I completely removed the multi function switch and the problem remained? As I stated I removed the turn signal lever assembly and removed the hazard switch from the car... meaning they were disconnected.

#4 5/11/2015 4:21 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

I apologize, I misunderstood the question.

The body control module (BCM) is responsible for controlling the turn signals and hazard lamps. When the turn signal switch is activated to either the left turn or right turn position, the BCM receives a signal from the turn signal switch. The BCM then sends an on-off voltage signal to both the left or right turn signals and their instrument panel cluster indicator lights.

You removed the multifunction switch and the hazard switch and you still had the problem, when the problem is happening again disconnect the body computer and see if the problem stops. If it stops then the body computer is probably the problem and needs to be replaced and reprogrammed. This is usually done at the dealership.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.