Ford Escape:

2001 ford escape fuel gauge not working.

You are not logged in.

# 1  2/20/2015 9:35 PM

curtis516

2001 ford escape fuel gauge not working.

Hello I have a 2001 ford escape an the fuel gauge is not working on it. When I fill the tank up it reads over full then after driving for awhile the gauge will just drop straight to E. I replaced the Fuel pump and float with a brand new one still not working. I checked and cleaned all the ground wires also checked the wires for breaks or corrosion did not find any. What else could the problem be?

# 2  2/21/2015 4:00 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: 2001 ford escape fuel gauge not working.

There is an instrument diagnostic mode that will check to see if the instrument cluster is at fault. Try this procedure below to test the gauges. It should calibrate the gauges if no problem is found. This test activates gauge sweeps then displays the actual gauge values.

To enter the instrument cluster self diagnostic mode with the engine off, depress and hold the trip/odometer reset button. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position and hold until test appears in the display area (within five to eight seconds). Once the test appears release the trip/odometer reset button within three seconds. Depress the trip/odometer reset button once to advance to each stage of the self-test.

Turn the ignition to the OFF position to exit the instrument cluster Self-Diagnostic Mode. If no DTC's (data trouble codes) related to the concern are retrieved, proceed to the Symptom Chart to continue diagnostics.

Try this test then get back to me with your results.

Procedure is from the Alldata automotive information website.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  2/21/2015 5:16 PM

curtis516

Re: 2001 ford escape fuel gauge not working.

Thank you for getting back to me an yes the fuel gauge itself was bad. Problem solved. Again thanks for the help.

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.