GMC Sierra 1500 / 2500 / 3500:

Air In The ABS Electronic Braking System ?

You are not logged in.

# 1  12/13/2014 7:39 AM

Dale

Air In The ABS Electronic Braking System ?

I have A 1995 GMC Sierra 1500. The brakes keep going down. It has a Electronic Braking System on it. When I got the truck the booster was bad and Master. I have replaced everything on it. I can bleed them and it will be fine for a few months. Then they go back to the floor. I was told there is air in the ABS unit. And the only way to bleed it is to put it on a computer. Is there any way for me to bleed the air out of the ABS unit myself ? I can not find a shop around with the right Computer to bleed it. Thanks for any help.

# 2  12/13/2014 4:24 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Air In The ABS Electronic Braking System ?

Take your truck to some place where there is lots of sand or where it is wet after a good rain. Making sure it is safe where you can't hurt anyone or hit anything then drive your truck into the sand or water area and lock up the brakes where the anti lock brakes kick in. You will feel the pulsation in the brake pedal when it is engaged. This will help purge the air out of the anti lock brake system. Once this happens you may have to bleed the brakes again to get the air out of the lines that was once lodged in the anti brake unit.

I hope this helps you out. Let us know if it works.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  12/15/2014 12:17 AM

Dale

I took the truck on wet roads and locked them down. And the ABS unit did kick in and I had to bleed it again. I repeated this 4 times. The truck was fine for about 6 months and it went to the floor again. I bled it again and it was great. Then it has done it again. Someone told me that it has little pockets in the ABS unit. And it just releases the air that is trapped in it. If I can activate the Unit myself it will push the air out. I just need help doing that. So I can feel good about my son driving it. Thanks

# 4  12/15/2014 1:00 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

If this keeps happening then there are other issues that need to be looked into. The air just doesn't keep coming back unless there are other problems. The entire brake system should be inspected by a certified mechanic. It sounds like the master cylinder could be part of the problem.

realworldautomotive.com

# 5  12/15/2014 4:01 AM

Dale

I took it to a certified brake shop this week. To get a automatic bleeding done on the truck. They broke the bleeders off and wanted to charge me $ 342.00 to put new calipers on it. I had it towed home and replaced them myself. When I got the truck the master cylinder and booster was bad I replaced them. The shop I took it to told me that the person had driven it pushing air in the ABS so long the only way to get all the air out of it was to do the Automatic Bleeding on it. It's the only shop around me with the computer to do the job. So I was hoping there was a way I could do it myself because they already broke the bleeders off. I've replaced every thing on the brake system. Lines and all, the Calipers was new. I don't know how they broke them. But I have new one's on it now And I'm going to bleed them myself tomorrow and hope for the best. Thanks for all the help.

# 6  12/15/2014 5:36 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

The only way to bleed the ABS without the computer scanner (automatic bleed) is to have the ABS activate by causing the wheels to lock up during braking. It could be a long process but when you're alone on a road and you can safely lock up the brakes this will help pulsate the air out of the ABS unit and then you can manually bleed the brake system. You can also try a pressure bleeder.

This is the only other way to do it if you don't have a scanner.

realworldautomotive.com

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.