Ford Thunderbird:

2004 Normal not to be able to 'rev' engine?

You are not logged in.

# 1  12/10/2014 8:48 PM

IRDavis

2004 Normal not to be able to 'rev' engine?

We bought this car a couple years ago with only 35k on it and it runs fine...we like it a lot. 

However, I've never owned a car where you couldn't 'rev' the engine while it was in neutral or park.  I can press the accelerator & RPMS will slowly increase, but slowly

Is that a built in governor of some kind or is there something amiss? 

Thanks!

# 2  12/11/2014 2:11 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: 2004 Normal not to be able to 'rev' engine?

The question I have for you is what the mileage is now and when was the car last tuned up?

There could be other issues that could cause this like a Mass air flow sensor, fuel filter, low fuel pump fuel output, clogged air filter or other sensors that control fuel delivery and spark timing (there are many).

Have a qualified ASE technician scan the computer system for any trouble codes that may be stored in the cars computer. If a trouble code is stored in the computer then this can lead the technician to the area of the problem (if any exist). The technician can also look at live data of the sensors of the engine and can see if any of the sensors could possibly be out of range causing this issue.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  1/24/2015 1:21 AM

IRDavis

Hi thanks for response.  It took me awhile to see it.  The mileage we got the car was 32,000 and it is now has 47,000. Its always done this.  I had new plugs, new high-end plug wires, tuneup, new fuel filter, etc. All done when we got the car. I installed a K&N cold air intake. It did this before AND after the new air filter.  We recently took it in because the engine light went on.  The 'code' was a dirty sensor.  I read that the sensor can get dirty if there's an oil coated air filter (which it is). Sensor was cleaned [as was the air filter] which turned off the engine light.  There were no other 'codes'.  The car has NO problem taking off the line.  It hauls ass... BUT will not rev up when not engaged.  I couldn't help wondering if it was intentional considering the target market for the car, maybe they didn't want the housewife revving up the RPM's and slamming it into gear to race the Hudson Hornet at the light.

# 4  1/24/2015 3:56 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

If the car runs good and has good performance then there are no concerns, you are just curious about the lack of acceleration at a standing position in park or neutral.

The only thing I can think of is that the ignition timing in the engine is controlled by PCM programming and is not adjustable. When the car is put into gear the PCM advances the ignition timing for engine performance giving the engine a quicker response and gives the engine a smoother idle. At idle in park or neutral the ignition timing is at a set point that may give you less of an accelerator response.

There are also valves in the intake manifold that help with performance when they go above a set RPM. These valves help with air delivery flow for improved performance.

The throttle position input is also controlled by three sensors; the accelerator pedal sensor, throttle position sensor and the throttle valve sensor. There are no longer any throttle cables it is now called wire to wire. It is all electronic. This could give the feel of slow acceleration in park or neutral but it is compensated by the PCM when it reads all the sensors and calculates the needed performance when put into gear.

There may be more information on this I just don't have it available at this time.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 5  2/3/2015 6:22 PM

IRDavis

Thank you for taking time to answer the potential technical reasons.  I'll take your advise & just assume all is as should be.  I've just never had a car that didn't have a quick 'rev' response when pushing accelerator when in neutral.
Regards. D

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.