Dodge Ram 1500 / 2500 / 3500:

Much louder than a ticking noise

You are not logged in.

#1 9/14/2014 6:48 PM

Papaw

Much louder than a ticking noise

I own a 2004 Dodge Ram 4x4 1500 SLT w/5.7 Hemi. On a drive to town one morning it stalled on me while driving. I pulled off to the side of the road and when I started it back up it sounded like I had spun a rod bearing, very loud knocking sound, not like a lifter tick or exhaust tick. I towed it home and had a ASE certified mechanic give it a listen and he agreed with me on the spun rod bearing idea.

He pulled off the oil pan and couldn't find ANY bearing problems. He's currently doing some research on it. Im wondering if any one else has had similar problem. The truck has 89,000 miles on it and has been maintained well. I've never even taken it off road. I've babied the heck out of it. Never even spun the tires.
NEED HELP.

Dodge Ram 1500 / 2500 / 3500 Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 9/15/2014 2:22 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Much louder than a ticking noise

There is a lot of talk about faulty valve springs that when a spring breaks it can cause severe engine damage like head replacement, piston and rod replacement and or engine replacement because of the rod going through the block.

Have your mechanic take a compression test on all cylinders and pay particular attention to cylinders #5 and #6. These cylinders are where the reports show common damage.

As of my research there seem to be at this time no recalls and TSB (Technical service bulletin) on the problem. I will report any if and when they come out.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#3 9/16/2014 11:35 PM

Papaw

Thank u for getting back to me, concerning your response, if that was the case wouldn't I have found some sizable pieces of metal in my oil pan. We checked the rods and all rotating parts that we could see but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. We even started for a few seconds, again nothing out of the ordinary. And after what it took to get oil pan off, not looking forward to taking top of motor apart. Again thanks for the input. I will show this to my mechanic and see what our next move is. If I have to check compression, I should replace oil pan and oil.

#4 9/17/2014 2:14 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

I am not asking you to take the top of the engine off; I'm just mentioning a simple diagnostic procedure which is a compression test. If you have low compression to a cylinder then you should also have an engine miss at that cylinder.

The damage may not be to the piston which is why you didn't see any metal pieces in the pan. The damage could be to the valves of the cylinder with low compression (if compression test shows a low cylinder).

Taking off the valve cover where the low cylinder may be will allow you to see if there is any damage to the cylinder that has low compression and verify an engine cylinder miss (if evident). Then this would show you would need to remove the head for the proper repair.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#5 9/17/2014 12:15 PM

Papaw

I will for sure check that out. The few short times I've run the motor it seems to b running on all 8 (no miss) but that loud of a knock has to b something serious. But I'll try that compression test for sure next. Process of elimination. Hope it turns up something. Thanks.

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.