Chevrolet Silverado 1500 / 2500 / 3500:

Cold air not blowing with A/C on

You are not logged in.

# 1  8/27/2014 11:51 AM

xupd48bad

Cold air not blowing with A/C on

Good morning. I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 with 5.3l V8. Just before my ac quit blowing cold air I heard a noise from under my hood that sounded like a bearing going out. I initially thought it was the belt but discovered that the belt is still in tact and tight on the pulley of the compressor. I have checked the engagement of the clutch but does not appear to be engaging. Please give me some trouble shooting step by step process that can pin point my problem. I am not a good mechanic so be easy on me with terms.

# 2  8/28/2014 3:36 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Cold air not blowing with A/C on

The first thing to check is to see if you have enough R134a (Freon). Install a set of gauges on the A/C system to check the proper pressures of the system.

If you have Freon in the system then check the compressor to see if it is not seized (not moving).

Check all fuses and relays related to the A/C system for proper operation.

Have a professional check the computer for any A/C trouble codes that may be related to the malfunction.

Get back to me with this information and we can diagnose the problem further.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  3/26/2015 3:09 AM

hawkjr

I have a 2000 Silverado and the A/C is blowing out warm air. I checked and found the A/C belt was missing so I replaced the belt. I charged the system with refrigerant and the A/C clutch would click on and off real fast but will not stay engaged and its still blowing warm air out. The A/C was working before I found the belt missing. The system was low on refrigerant last year so I know there is a leak some where.

# 4  3/26/2015 1:44 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

When the clutch engages and disengages fast is a sign that the refrigerant is still low. There is a label under the hood that tells you how much the A/C system holds.

Finding the leak would be the first procedure to perform so you don't waste Freon.  One simple way is to inject a dye into the system and check it with a black or ultra violet light. When you find the leak the dye will glow bright yellow or green. Repair as needed.

Charging the system should be done with a good set of gages so you can see if the system has the proper pressures. On a day of about 70 degrees the pressures should be 30 psi on the low side and about 175 to 200 psi on the high side. The pressures will vary with temperature.

Refrigerant R-134a, with front A/C (0.91 kg (2 lb)

Refrigerant R-134a, Four Door Utility with rear A/C (1.25 kg (2.75 lb)

Refrigerant R-134a, Suburban with rear A/C (1.59 kg (3.5 lb)

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.