Pontiac Grand Am:

All dash lights out but AC and radio still working

You are not logged in.

#1 8/24/2014 3:19 PM

KK

All dash lights out but AC and radio still working

I have a 2001 Grand Am. Recently the car wouldn't turn over after the security light came on.  The mechanic reset the pass code lock. The car would run but the security light and service engine lights remained on. A day later all the dash lights went out, but those lights stayed on.The AC and Radio are still working and it we adjusted the dimmer switch.  Any ideas?

Pontiac Grand Am Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 8/25/2014 1:14 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: All dash lights out but AC and radio still working

The vehicle should be checked with a scanner to identify any trouble codes stored in the computer memory.

You can check the left side fuse panel for current to the IPC/HVAC Battery fuse 10 AMP and also the IPC/BFC ACC fuse 10 AMP.  Also check the INT LPS fuse 10 AMP in the right side fuse panel this fuse supply's the current to the dimmer switch.

Also check the dimmer switch rheostat for the variable voltage on the grey wire on the dimmer switch. If you have voltage going in and no voltage going out it could be the dimmer switch. There is also a  dimmer module that could also causing the problem.

Scanning the computer for codes is important because it will give us valuable information to help diagnosis the problem.

Try these suggestions and let me know your results.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#3 3/6/2015 8:36 PM

che831

I have the same thing happening to my car everything works except for all my gauges. I've checked all the fuses, relays and still nothing also my OBD 2 connection says it's not connected when I plug in the OBD 2 reader.

#4 3/7/2015 2:16 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

If your scan tool gets it power and ground from the DLC (data link connector) then check these fuses.

There is a fuse labeled BTSI it is a 10 Amp fuse. It is for the instrument cluster lights.

There is also a fuse for the gauges, it is the IP IGN fuse it is also 10 AMP.

The CIG LTR fuse supplies power to terminal 16 of the DLC (data link connector) to power the scan tool.

The ground is supplied at terminal 4 in the DLC.

If you have your power at terminal 16 and ground at terminal 4 at the DLC then try another scan tool to see if the problem is not your scan tool.

Check out these suggestions and get back to me with your results.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.