Ford Expedition:

97 Ford Expedition won't start

You are not logged in.

# 1  6/16/2014 4:44 AM

lovepink100611

97 Ford Expedition won't start

Hi, my husband recently changed the steering gear box in my truck. After replacing the new one and hooking everything back up, it now won't start. Have power, all lights on dash come on. Turn the key and it does nothing! Any help?

# 2  6/16/2014 11:17 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: 97 Ford Expedition won't start

If the truck started before your husband installed the steering gear then have him retrace his work to make sure everything that was disconnected was reconnected. If it all looks good then try these suggestions.

Check fuses 20 (50 AMP) and while trying to start the truck check fuse 21 (15AMP).

If fuses are good have him check to see if he has current to the starter solenoid while starting. If he doesn't have any current while turning the key to start the engine then check the digital transmission range selector. Check the plug and wiring for loose connections and or corrosion. Check the switch for proper adjustment.

The ignition switch could also be malfunctioning check for proper operation if you don't have any current to the starter solenoid while turning the key.

If the starter solenoid is getting current but it still won't start then it could be a faulty starter solenoid.

If while trying to starting the engine you have current to the starter solenoid and have current going to the starter then check the starter for proper operation.

Try these suggestions and get back to me with your results. We can diagnosis the problem from there.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  6/16/2014 6:54 PM

lovepink100611

When I turn the key forward to start I hear a loud click from the firewall that's it I checked all my work everything is hooked up the way it was is it something to do with anti theft I even changed the firewall solenoid.

# 4  6/17/2014 12:04 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

The click you are hearing is the starter solenoid. You should be getting voltage at the starter when the key is in the start position. Have your wife turn the key and with a test light check the voltage at the starter. If you have voltage at the starter then you will probably need a starter.

It is probably was ready to go and had nothing to do with what you did.

You can take your starter out and have it checked at a local Auto Zone auto parts store to make sure it is bad. You don't want to spend money for a part you don't need. If it is bad they can give you a replacement.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.