Chevrolet Silverado 1500 / 2500 / 3500:

Batteries removed for 4 days, computer lost power

You are not logged in.

# 1  5/6/2014 9:18 PM

JimH

Batteries removed for 4 days, computer lost power

I have a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado, 2500 HD with a 6.0 gas engine.
The battery that starts the truck (on the driver side) went dead, and I removed it and the trailer tow battery (on the passenger side) from the truck to charge them up, and have them tested (Sears Die Hard Batteries).
Batteries both tested good, and I recharged them both up.
When I reinstalled the batteries, and started the truck, it started right up.
But the buzzer went off, and several service messages showed on the dash. Battery not charging, Check air bags, Service brakes, etc. The dash gauges came on as normal, but after about a minute they all went out, then when I stopped they all started working again. This happens over and over.
Any ideas; is it possible that the computer lost power and needs to be rebooted?

# 2  5/7/2014 1:58 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Batteries removed for 4 days, computer lost power

There is a service bulletin on the condition you are talking about. I listed it below; it explains the condition and the repair to be performed at the dealership.

Bulletin No.: 02066

Date: December, 2002

CUSTOMER SATISFACTION PROGRAM
SUBJECT:
02066 - BATTERY DRAIN
MODELS:
2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO, TAHOE, SUBURBAN
2003 GMC SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL
2003 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE EXT, ESCALADE ESV EQUIPPED WITH QUADRASTEER (NYS), AUTORIDE (Z55), OR VEHICLE STABILITY ENHANCEMENT/STABILITRAK (JL4)

CONDITION:

General Motors has decided that certain 2003 model year Chevrolet Silverado, Tahoe, and Suburban; 2003 model year GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL; and 2003 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT, and Escalade ESV vehicles equipped with Quadrasteer (NYS), Autoride (Z55), or Vehicle Stability Enhancement/StabiliTrak (JL4) may have the potential of exhibiting a battery drain condition. An anomaly in the operation of the steering wheel position sensor may keep the Body Control Module (BCM) from shutting down when the key is in the "OFF" position. The resultant 3.5 amp draw/load on the battery could possibly discharge the battery to the point where the battery will not have sufficient amperage to start the vehicle.

CORRECTION: Dealers are to reprogram the BCM.

VEHICLES INVOLVED: Involved are certain 2003 model year Chevrolet Silverado, Tahoe, and Suburban; 2003 model year GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL; and 2003 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT, and Escalade ESV vehicles equipped with Quadrasteer (NYS), Autoride (Z55), an

https://www.realworldautomotive.com/forums/uploads/thumbs/174_98875154.gif

This service bulletin is supplied by Alldata automotive information website.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.