Ford F-150 / 250 / 350 / 450:

4x4 will not disengage

You are not logged in.

# 1  11/29/2013 9:14 PM

michael9

4x4 will not disengage

I have a 2005 F 15 5.4 Triton. The 4x4 will not disengage unless I back up. I have replace both actuators. What else do I need to check for?

# 2  11/30/2013 3:22 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: 4x4 will not disengage

There are some mentions of water in the lines of the 4x4 center axle disconnect solenoid. Check the vacuum lines for any wear or cracks and if water is evident in the lines then blow them out or replace them. Check for corrosion at the plug of the solenoid; clean up as needed or replace the plug or solenoid if needed. I have provided a picture of the solenoid location below.

If this doesn't help get back to me and we can diagnosis the problem further. 

https://www.realworldautomotive.com/forums/uploads/thumbs/174_1134294881.gif

There is also mention of the locking hubs being worn and not being able to release on their own; only releasing by putting the truck in park or moving in reverse to disengaging the hubs.  We can look into that if  the above information does not help you.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  11/30/2013 11:14 PM

michael9

Thanks, I replaced the IWE solenoid at a cost of about $18.50. There were no signs of water in the lines, plug to solenoid was very clean. Still will not disengage. You mentioned  that the locking hubs could be bad. Does it hurt to use the 4x4 if needed?  Some more information that might help you help me. It seems the vacuum is good at the actuators, The vacuum seems to be working when I engage then disengage when it is sitting and running. I had replaced both actuators last year when I heard a grinding noise as we were driving. Only drove about a day. Replaced both and everything worked good throughout the winter then did not use 4x4 until checking it out for this winter. Thanks again for any information it will be helpful.

# 4  12/1/2013 1:21 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Is the 4x4 light staying on when disengaging the four wheel drive? I need to know this to continue to diagnosis this problem.

Below is a simple description of the front locking hubs. It could be possible the springs inside the hub are weak or bound up with dirt and grime and can't fully release the hubs when disengaging the 4 wheel drive. Going in reverse is probably freeing up the hubs to cause them to release.

I don't think this will cause a problem when engaging the 4x4 when needed if it seems to work normal. With the 4x4 staying engaged on dry pavement can cause a problem because the system needs some type of slippage like snow, mud or ice. Continuing to drive in four wheel drive on drive pavement can cause premature malfunctions. As long as you know the 4x4 is disengaged it should be safe until you can get the proper diagnosis done or get the repair done.

The integrated wheel end (IWE) system contains the following:
vacuum reservoir
IWE solenoid
IWE (spring loaded vacuum hubs)
Vacuum hoses
Check valve

The IWE system uses vacuum hubs that engage the front wheel hubs to the front half shafts or disengage the front wheel hubs from the front half shafts.

When the 4-wheel drive system is in 2WD mode, the 4X4 module (PCM) supplies a ground path to the IWE solenoid to apply vacuum to the integrated wheel ends (disengaging the front hubs from the front half shafts). In 4WD mode, the 4X4 module (PCM) does not supply the ground path to the IWE solenoid, vacuum is not applied to the integrated wheel ends and an internal spring keeps the front hubs engaged to the front half shafts.

http://www.pntra.com/t/SENISUtLS05DR0pHSU9GQ0dKRk9LTw
Alldata.com

realworldautomotive.com

# 5  12/1/2013 3:42 AM

michael9

The 4x4 light works like it is suppose to. The low lock works fine also. How hard is it to take the hubs apart and try cleaning? Is that something a back yard mechanic can or do I need to take it to a shop? They are disengaging when I stop and back up a short distance.

# 6  12/2/2013 8:31 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

I would say this is not a job for the back yard mechanic. The labor book says this job to replace the both sides should take about 3 to 4 hours.

You are looking to clean both sides, the cleaning part and inspection of the hubs sometimes can turn up more problems and if you don't have the trained eye for the job you could put it together and still have the same problem.

Bring the truck into the dealer or shop and have them do the job; they can diagnosis and confirm the problem and you will have a warranty on the repair for a short period of time to be sure it is done properly.

realworldautomotive.com

# 7  12/3/2013 2:18 PM

michael9

Thanks again for your help I have made an appointment to get into a shop this week.

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.