Dodge Ram 1500 / 2500 / 3500:

2003 Ram 1500 4X4, 4.7 liter

You are not logged in.

#1 9/9/2013 3:44 PM

shermand34

2003 Ram 1500 4X4, 4.7 liter

Hello,  Last winter my truck started misfiring real bad.  Loosing power, and stalling all the time.  I had days I would have to hit the key for ten to fifteen minutes before it would start.  I was told it was the fuel pressure regulator.  I dropped the tank, replaced it.  Didn't do it.  Then told fuel pump.  Again, dropped the tank and replaced it too.  Still didn't fix it.  Next I was told it was a injector.  Not knowing which one it could have been, I replaced all eight of them.  Truck started running again.  Ran fine until two weeks ago.  It started acting up again.  If I was going down the highway at 65 and would go to hit the pedal, it would start shaking real bad, and sometime stall.  Now it is progressively getting worse.  It for the past couple days started missing real bad as if only running on five or six cylinders.  It doesn't have the power to get to 55 mph without shaking real bad.  Now it is stalling without notice.  I can be sitting at a light and it will shut down as if I turned off the key.  All dash gages go off as well.  A lot of time, when I go to pull out, it will stall the second I hit the pedal.  Or it will get going down the road and then die.  Last night I replaced the PCV Valve, and I had a heck of a time getting it to start.  Before that, it would start back up right away. 

Can you help me out please?

Dennis

Dodge Ram 1500 / 2500 / 3500 Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 9/9/2013 4:42 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: 2003 Ram 1500 4X4, 4.7 liter

With the fuel problem taken care of as of replacing the fuel filter, regulator and fuel pump, I would still want to know what the fuel pressure is.

Replacing parts on the advice of others without them looking at the truck is not a good idea because it is your money you are experimenting with not theirs.

I don't want to be one of them to tell you something and it doesn't fix the problem and it cost you a lot of money. You need to get a good solid diagnosis.

You would need to get a scan tool hooked up to the truck and start looking at an electrical problem. A scan tool can diagnosis engine cylinder misfires, electrical failures, store trouble codes, take a snap shot of the live data to see the electrical values at the point of failure and give the mechanic the ability to look at the live data to see if any sensor or module is in range of it's electrical values or is just failing or malfunctioning.

The mechanic can also us an oscilloscope to check ignition coils and sensors to be sure they are functioning properly.

You already spent a lot of money on parts you probably didn't have to replace. Spend just a little more on some solid diagnostic time at your local dealer or professional certified mechanic to get the proper diagnosis on your problem.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#3 9/9/2013 7:39 PM

shermand34

Re: 2003 Ram 1500 4X4, 4.7 liter

I'm going to try and get it into a local Dodge dealer today.  I will follow up with what is found out.

Thanks

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.