Chevrolet S-10 Pickup:

Truck won't start or turn over

You are not logged in.

# 1  7/14/2013 11:28 PM

cyndiann

Truck won't start or turn over

About a month ago I went to start my 1991 S 10 and nothing happened. It's a 6 cylinder standard transmission. I called for a jump start and that didn't work either so we tried pushing it and that worked. I left it running till I was done running around then I went over a friend's house that knows cars but by then it was starting just fine. It did it once more the next day and maybe once more the day after and then it was ok, starting every time I asked it to till yesterday.

Yesterday it did it again, absolutely no sound when I turn the key. Radio comes on, lights work, gauges work, everything works but starter doesn't turn over. My friend suggested it was the ignition but I don't know how to test for that and I think it's rather complicated to fix. I'm no dummy, I can wrench on a car, I'm just not the best at the diagnosing part.

I know that originally you had to hold the clutch in and have it in neutral for it to start but I don't think it's working anymore. I do that anyway though. Was wondering if that switch had gone bad and was preventing it from starting maybe? Or is the only answer the ignition?

I had to stop once on the way home so I parked where I could push start it and sure enough I had to do it again. Got home, had no place to park where I could push it unfortunately so I tried starting it with the key again today and nothing happened.

I'm stumped that the problem can come and go. Suggestions?

# 2  7/15/2013 1:23 PM

cyndiann

Re: Truck won't start or turn over

How long does it take for a response? roll

# 3  7/15/2013 3:15 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

If you have a test light go to the starter and see if you have current on the purple wire on the starter solenoid when you try to start it. If you have a light it is the starter solenoid faulty and if the truck has a lot of mileage on it would be wise to change the starter.

If you don't have current on that wire; then check for current at the clutch switch.  You have to have current going to the solenoid with the clutch engaged.

Try these suggestions and get back to me we can go on from there.

Sorry for the delay I had a death in the family.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 4  7/15/2013 10:36 PM

cyndiann

I'm sorry about your family situation. My truck has decided to run again so I will have to wait until it doesn't start again to try what you suggest. I'm sure you will be hearing from me down the road so to speak. cool

# 5  7/17/2013 1:52 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

When the problem happens again I posted the wiring schematic for your truck.

https://www.realworldautomotive.com/forums/uploads/thumbs/174_41821502.gif

Alldata information website.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.