Nissan / Datsun Z / ZX:

"Z" Shuts Down

You are not logged in.

# 1  2/28/2013 3:56 PM

hsa4707

"Z" Shuts Down

I am Looking for some directions as to where to start my problem solving, I've a 1976 280Z.  When driving alone at normal speed the vehicle shuts down completely, I mean completely shuts down. All the gauges everything goes blank and stop working, and just as quick, a few seconds soon after, it starts up again. Is it an ignition issue, electrical or maybe the distributor, where should I start first. It has a new fuel pump, Gas filter, plugs, even a new Rotor and distributor cap on the old distributor. Any suggestion or has anyone experience this before?

Sure could use some directions.
Harold

# 2  2/28/2013 9:25 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: "Z" Shuts Down

If it is possible; check to see if you have spark at the spark plugs when the problem happens. I know you said that it will start up right away but we need to know.

The problem sounds like it could be an intermittent poor connection in the ignition switch. If the car looses power on all electrical circuits when the problem happens I would check all of the fuses at the time of the stall. If you have no current on any of the main fuses then check the power feed to the ignition switch then check the power feed going out of the switch. If you have power going in and no power going out of the ignition switch at the time of the stall; then change the ignition switch.

Let me know if this information helps you. If not get back to me then we can diagnosis the problem further.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  3/1/2013 7:58 PM

hsa4707

Thanks TechSupport#2 for the quick reply, you're definitely there. I won't be able to check the sparks at or during the shut down when it happens because it happens when I'm driving alone at normal speed and the vehicle automatically restarts, if we'll talking a ignition switch should I maybe just replace the switch, I'm certainly aware of you're going to say, don't just replace parts it could and will be costly and I agree, how strong do you feel about your suggestion of the problem, I would be willing to try it, cause this issue is the main reason I don't drive the car and it just sit there, it's frustrating.

# 4  3/2/2013 7:27 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

I don't have any information on your car but I had a similar problem with my son's car. If you can get to the back of the ignition switch and back probe the wires you will have the main battery feed with the key on or off. When you turn the key on you will have battery voltage on some other wires, one of those wires will feed the ignition.

Once you have the test light set up and as you drive you can see the test light lit keep driving until the car stalls. When it stalls the light will flicker for that split second and may light up again. When the light flickers that would indicate a bad ignition switch.

If you have a wire schematic that can tell you the exact wire on the switch it will cut out a lot of time. If you don't have a schematic the you may have to back probe more that one wire until you find the correct ignition feed wire.

It took me a long time to find the problem on my son's car because when it stalled it started up right away and wouldn't happen for a few weeks and sometimes a few months until it happened again.

Try this suggestion and keep me up to date on your progress. If you don't have a manual you may be able to go to your local library and they may have a book that you may be able to take out to help you out.

realworldautomotive.com

# 5  3/12/2013 1:55 PM

hsa4707

TechHelp2
Thanks I'm working on your suggestion, I get back to you soon.

# 6  3/12/2013 2:06 PM

hsa4707

TechHelp2
I've a very Important Question?  When looking for used parts for my 1976 280Z, 2+2. What year vehicle parts fits my "Z". I would need this information down the road to save money.

# 7  3/12/2013 2:39 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

If your buying used parts then there is a cross reference computer program that the salvage yard will use that will tell them the range in years that can be used for the parts you are looking for.

realworldautomotive.com

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.