Chevrolet Silverado 1500 / 2500 / 3500:

Noise from Back Brakes!

You are not logged in.

#1 1/15/2013 12:21 AM

waywayz

Noise from Back Brakes!

Like to Know about my Brakes I put New Brake  shoes on, New cylinders, but I have a Heavy Noise, sounds like a Heavy Road Noise.

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 / 2500 / 3500 Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 1/15/2013 1:30 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Noise from Back Brakes!

Did you have the drums cut?

Did you put the shoes on properly? The short shoe (primary) goes in the front.

If you had the drums cut the machining could have been done poorly.

If you didn't cut the drums then the shoes could be touching rust on the drums or some parts are rubbing on the drum. Find out what side the noise is the strongest and take that wheel off and inspect your work.

I didn't get enough information like the year, exact model, engine size or any other important information that I could have used to help you better.

Get back to me with more information on your truck and a better description of the problem and we can continue the diagnostics from there.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 / 2500 / 3500 Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

#3 1/15/2013 6:23 PM

waywayz

TechHelp2 wrote:

Did you have the drums cut?

Did you put the shoes on properly? The short shoe (primary) goes in the front.

If you had the drums cut the machining could have been done poorly.

If you didn't cut the drums then the shoes could be touching rust on the drums or some parts are rubbing on the drum. Find out what side the noise is the strongest and take that wheel off and inspect your work.

I didn't get enough information like the year, exact model, engine size or any other important information that I could have used to help you better.

Get back to me with more information on your truck and a better description of the problem and we can continue the diagnostics from there.

It's a 1990 Chevrolet Scottsdale 2WD 1500 with a 350 engine

#4 1/16/2013 12:04 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

I forgot to ask, does the noise happen when you step on the brake pedal or just driving around with your foot off the brake?

Does the noise change if the parking brake is applied slightly while driving? While driving the truck apply the parking brake slightly to see if the noise changes if it does this test will isolate the problem in the parking brake area of the brake system.

I need to know these answers because there is one service bulletin that may apply to your problem but you have had many brake jobs in the past so it may not apply but I still need to know the answers. 

Again find which wheel the noise is in and recheck your work. It is possible a spring fell off or something is not aligned properly.

Let me know when you can.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.