Ford Focus:

Car will not start

You are not logged in.

#1 11/4/2012 9:59 PM

wordmanblu

Car will not start

I have a 2002 Ford Focus ZTS.  Last week, my battery went bad.  The sides got hot and it was boiling water out.  I went to Autozone and bought a new battery.  The salesman told me that my alternator may be overcharging the battery.  He said when I get home, let it cool down and then put the new battery on.  Let the car idle for about 20 min. and then check it for overheating.  While it was idling, I got busy doing something else and forgot about it.  I finally turned the car off about an hour later, but the battery was still cool and it cranked back up just fine.  The next day, the car would not start.  It would turn over, but it would not start.  It acted like it wasn't getting any fuel.  A friend told me to disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset everything, but it didn't help.  Somebody else told me to check my fuel pump fuse.  I did and it was blown.  I replaced the fuse (15 amp), but it still wouldn't start.  Then I tried resetting everything again, but still no luck.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Ford Focus Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 11/5/2012 4:57 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Car will not start

When the car won't start you need to see if you have spark and fuel pressure.

If you have spark and it won't start then check for fuel pressure. Check the fuel pump relay, fuse and fuel pump for proper operation.

Check the fuel filter to see if it is clogged.

Check fuel for contamination.

Try these suggestions and get back to me with the results.

Check the charging system for over charging, the charging voltage should be between 13.0 to 14.0 volts.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else
Ford Focus Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.