Buick Terraza:

Starts then dies, wont restart for a couple of hours

You are not logged in.

# 1  10/15/2012 4:22 PM

thornt

Starts then dies, wont restart for a couple of hours

2007 Buick Terraza, 3.9l engine. The van was running good, parked it one day and the next morning would only start then die. I made sure there was gas in tank. You can hear the fuel pump run when turning on the key and after the engine dies. After it dies it will not start again until it has sat for a couple of hours. I have sprayed gas into the air filter hose and it will keep running as long as I am spraying. (I can't find any info. on a fuel filter) Shows no engine codes. Any advice would be appreciated.

# 2  10/15/2012 4:56 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Starts then dies, wont restart for a couple of hours

My first question is where you fueled up last? If your car is not equipped with the flex fuel options then you could have fueled up with E85 fuel in stead of fuel with 10% ethanol. This can cause starting and drivability problems. If you did fuel up with E85 then the fuel tank will have to be drained and refilled with the proper fuel.

If you fueled up with the proper fuel then the next thing to check is the fuel pressure. The fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel level sensor, fuel pressure regulator are all part of the new fuel module. It is all inside the tank. If one of the components is bad the whole fuel module may have to be replaced. Depending on your mileage and time of ownership it could possible be under warranty. Check with your dealer to be sure.

The fuel pressure is the first check it should be about 50 to 60 PSI with the key on engine off. The second is the fuel content (amount of ethanol).

Let us know your test results. We can diagnosis the problem further if needed.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  10/15/2012 6:31 PM

thornt

I use 2 main places to get gas, they each contain 10% ethanol, I have drove about 50 miles since the last time I put fuel in it. I can't find out anything about this van having a fuel filter that is serviceable. Also, I can't see where to connect gauge for fuel pressure check.

# 4  10/16/2012 4:19 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

There is no fuel filter anymore they use a screen that is non serviceable. It is all incorporated into the fuel module inside the fuel tank.

The fuel pressure test port appears to be on the fuel rail. A fuel pressure gauge with the proper adapter is required to perform a fuel pressure test.

Special procedures and safety procedures are required for this test and if you are not familiar with them you should leave it to a professional mechanic.

realworldautomotive.com

# 5  10/18/2012 2:35 PM

thornt

I will have to keep looking and trying to fix this myself, I can't afford the tow bill or a mechanic bill.
Is the fuel regulator located on the fuel rail (just before the injectors) as well?
Thank you for your help.

# 6  10/18/2012 3:30 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

The explanation and location of the fuel regulator is listed below.

Fuel Pressure Regulator

The fuel pressure regulator is a diaphragm operated relief valve. The fuel pump pressure is on one side of the regulator and the regulator spring pressure is on the other side. The function of the fuel pressure regulator is to maintain a constant fuel pressure under all of the operating conditions. The pressure regulator DOES NOT compensate for the engine load by increasing the fuel pressure as the engine intake manifold vacuum drops. The vent on the fuel pressure regulator is an atmospheric vent only. The fuel pressure regulator is mounted on the fuel sender assembly.

If you need a fuel pressure gauge you may be able to rent one at your local Auto Zone auto part store. This may help you diagnosis the problem.

There is also a service bulletin on drivability and starting problem that refer to clogged fuel injectors. There is a special cleaning procedure for this condition that is approved by GM that includes multiple trouble codes.

You may want to look into this if your fuel pressure is good.

realworldautomotive.com

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.