Chevrolet S-10 Pickup:

Won't start after engine gets warmed up

You are not logged in.

# 1  9/25/2012 9:03 PM

pend

Won't start after engine gets warmed up

I've got a 1988 S-10 2wd manual trans 2.5 L4. It won't start after driving it a short distance. Seems it has to cool down before it will restart. I messaged you about this yesterday. I drove it today. Cold started alright but hesitated when I went to restart it. Got it back home. Checked for spark at plugs. That was okay. Looked down the throttle body and was getting almost no gas at all. It wouldn't start. Let it cool down and it started OK. Checked fuel pressure and it had a little under 8 pounds. That was with the engine almost cold. I replaced the ECM in March and the fuel filter in May. New fuel injector summer of 2007. Re-manufactured distributor, rotor, cap and coil in March, also. New plugs and wires 2 weeks ago. 9/28/12. Has my problem got you all stumped or am I being ignored because I somehow offended someone?  I'm retired, living on a fixed income and this vehicle is the only transportation I have. I'm tired of throwing money at this thing, hoping that the next new part will correct the problem. If my problem is either the fuel pump or the fuel injector, it would be nice to know which is more likely. A fuel injector is $89.99 plus and a pump, filter, and wiring harness is $69.99 plus tax. For me, both are major expenses at this time. I can't afford but one expense each month, and hoping that nothing else comes up.

Last edited by pend (9/28/2012 3:56 PM)

# 2  9/30/2012 4:57 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Won't start after engine gets warmed up

Sorry for the delay I've been trying to find any other information I can give you.

As I said you need to check the spark when the truck won't start. If you have spark then you will probably have a fuel problem.

If you had eight pounds of fuel pressure that is below the specs of 13 PSI required.

A simple test you can do is to remove the fuel filter and try to blow through it, if you can't blow through it then replace the filter and recheck the fuel pressure.

If you can blow through it then than try to take the fuel pressure at the point before the fuel filter. If the fuel pressure is 8PSI again then the fuel pump may be at fault.

Try these few suggestions and get back to me, we can diagnosis the problem further if we need to.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  10/5/2012 4:05 AM

pend

Re: Won't start after engine gets warmed up

Checked the filter. It was OK. Re-checked pressure at line from tank and it was at 6.5 lbs. I used a different gauge so that might account for the difference in pressure. Replaced the fuel pump yesterday and checked it's pressure output. Reading was 14 pounds. Today was test drive day with multiple stops of some delay at each stop. Never refused to start. Still haven't figured out why it seemed like it was a heat related problem. Thanks for the help.

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.