Chevrolet Silverado 1500 / 2500 / 3500:

ac belt tensioner broke

You are not logged in.

# 1  8/10/2012 3:05 AM

pyper22

ac belt tensioner broke

my 1999 5.3 silverado tensioner spring broke after only about 6k miles and 16 months old, the ac was working perfect before, i saw the amp meter jump  then i notice the ac was not cooling, so i checked the belt and notice it was loose, the tensioner has no tension on the belt, if i remove the belts can the compressor be turned by hand to check that it is not froze up (broken), what would cause the spring to break.

# 2  8/10/2012 2:15 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: ac belt tensioner broke

The belt tensioner could have broken just by manufacturer defect or you may have excessive vibration caused by another problem.

Replace it with a new one and a new belt (if needed). Inspect all of the other pulleys to make sure none are seized.

You can take the belt off and turn the center of the compressor by hand. You may want to turn the key on (no engine start) and turn on the A/C pulley.
You can grab the pulley and turn it to see if the center of the compressor turns with the pulley. If you can do this then the compressor is not seized.

If all of the other components pass inspection then reassemble the belt system and check for proper operation of all other systems like power steering, alternator, water pump, A/C compressor and idler pulley (if equipped).

If you need more information get back to me we can diagnosis the problem further.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  8/10/2012 6:10 PM

pyper22

Re: ac belt tensioner broke

techhelp2 thanks for the info. got everything back together and the ac is working good

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.