Dodge Neon:

Problem with my car

You are not logged in.

# 1  7/11/2012 12:34 AM

mycars

Problem with my car

I have a 05 Dodge Neon, the problem with my car is this morning my car start up fine, drove to work parked the car for 8 hours, got off work to go home my car will not start. I have to turn the key 5 time without cranking the engine. Then the fifth time the car will start up. I can go to the store go in the store and come out and the car will start up then no problem all the rest of the day. Changed the fuel pump and still have the same problem. Take it to a body shop all he has done was give to car a tune up change the spark plug and wire and air filter and PCV that did not correct the problem.

# 2  7/11/2012 4:22 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Problem with my car

I'm confused? Are you saying you try to start the car five times and it will crank and won't start or are you saying you turn the key five times until the starter engages?

There is a difference with cranking the engine and it won't start compared to turning the key and the starter is not engaging.

Get back to me when you can.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  7/11/2012 10:58 PM

mycars

Today I get in my car, turn the key to start the car up the car would not start. I turned the key toward the windshield   (when all the dash light come on like the check engine light). Then turn the key back toward me (when you turn the key to turn the radio on without starting the car) turn the key toward windshield wait five second then turn the key back toward me. I have done this about five times. The last time I turned the key to started the car that's when the car started up to drive the car home.

Last edited by mycars (7/11/2012 11:17 PM)

# 4  7/12/2012 4:02 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

I would check a few things, one would be the ignition switch then the starter, starter relay and if you have a standard transmission check the clutch switch for proper operation.

To check the starter and ignition switch get a test light and have someone try to start the car. When it doesn't start check the wire on the starter solenoid (not the battery cable, the smaller wire) to see if you have current to it when the key is turned to the start position.

If you have current to the wire terminal of the starter then it is probably have a bad starter solenoid.

If you don't have current to the wire on the solenoid when the key is turned then it is most likely would be a bad ignition switch.

If you have a standard transmission the make sure you have your foot on the clutch all the way and check for current on both sides of the switch for proper operation. 

Also check the starter relay in the power distribution center for proper operation.

Let me know how you make out.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.