Pontiac Grand Am:

Dash gauges don't work?

You are not logged in.

#1 5/29/2012 1:08 AM

landrumm20

Dash gauges don't work?

I have dash lights but not all of the gauges work. I checked all fuses and I can't run a code search. It said it was not connected and it is?

Pontiac Grand Am Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 5/29/2012 2:34 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Dash gauges don't work?

I need more specific information on your car like the year, engine size, any maintenance done on your car recently and any options you may have that can help with the diagnosis.

There are many schematics for your car so I need as much information you can give so I can help you better.

Let me know when you can.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#3 5/29/2012 2:50 AM

landrumm20

2000 Grand Am GT 3.4 V-6. A few days ago it started having a sputtering off and on, but only at an idle. So we plugged a computer in and when I did the gauges stopped working and also the odometer then the computer said it was not connected when it was so I can't run a code check. I went thru all the fuses none were blown. I have dash lights and accessories but not low washer fluid, oil or temp lights.

Last edited by landrumm20 (5/29/2012 2:51 AM)

#4 5/29/2012 10:59 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Where did you get the computer? Was it new or was it from another car?

When you change computers in these cars they need to be reprogrammed with the latest software made specifically for your car including the mileage.

Take your car into your local GM dealer and have them program the computer before you start any other diagnostics.

Let us know how you make out.

realworldautomotive.com

#5 5/29/2012 11:42 AM

landrumm20

Lets go back a minute. I did not change engine CPU. The diagnostic computer will not communicate with my car now. The original problem is the dash gauges went out before the diagnostics problem. I checked all the fuses. Are there any relays? If they're are do you know the number? Its not listed at all.

#6 5/29/2012 9:29 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Sorry for the mix up, you said you hooked up a computer it should of said a scanner or code reader. My apologizes.

Check the IPC/BFC fuse; it’s a 10 amp fuse. It powers up the Body computer and supplies the voltage for the gauges and mileage. It has power with the key in the ACCESSORY, RUN and Start position.

Let me know if this works for you, I'll keep looking for other circuits.

realworldautomotive.com

#7 5/29/2012 10:49 PM

landrumm20

Wonderful I found the wire going to the BCM fuse it was off in the back of the fuse box. THANK you. Now there is a dead miss about every few seconds only at an idle. Do plugs and plug wires breakdown at an idle or higher rpm's?

#8 5/30/2012 2:30 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

A miss at idle can be caused by a few things. In some cases it usually involves a vacuum leak at a hose, intake manifold gasket, EGR valve stuck slightly open the list can go on.

If the miss is every few seconds it could be a faulty plug, wire, arcing at the coil or spark plug.

The only way to be sure of these symptoms is to use a scope to look at the electrical patterns of the ignition system to determine which cylinder is giving you the problem.

A quick test you can do is to get a spray bottle and fill it with water. When the engine is running and you have the miss happening, spray one spark plug at a time. If a plug is faulty when the water hits the plug it will miss rapidly. Change that spark plug if it proves to be bad.

Using a scanner can also help diagnosis a miss by looking at certain parameters on the scanner by looking at certain sensors for their proper information. If some of this information is out of specs a trained technician will be able to spot the problem. 

If you don't have access to a scope or scanner (not a code reader), look at your maintenance schedule. If it has been a while since your last tune up look at spark plugs and wires first, then go on from there. Replace everything needed on the maintenance schedule.

Tune up parts are a maintenance item that should be changed at certain intervals of miles as per your factory maintenance schedule. They should be changed weather they are good or bad, they may just be worn out.

If you need more help then get back to me when you can.

realworldautomotive.com

#9 12/4/2016 7:24 AM

MusicPusher

I am having the same problem, but the fuse you specified is not blown. Any other suggestions on where to look? Everything seems to be working fine. Car runs fine. I bought it a few days ago and the first day it died on me a few times and started back up. At one point during the malfunction the gauges went crazy like when the battery is low or dies, but it would start back up. There is a (4350 D) recall on the ignition and I do have to reach into the radio slot in the dash (don't currently have it installed) and push on the back of the ignition to get it to start. It will crank without this, but not start. Although sometimes it will start without this and then die. Please help.

#10 12/4/2016 5:01 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

You need to get the ignition switch recall done that is important and may fix some of your problems. If the ignition switch doesn't fix this problem then check the suggestions below.

Check the BFC Battery fuse in the fuse panel under the dash of the driver's side. This fuse is one of the power supply's to the body computer.

Check the grounds to the dash cluster. If the wiring checks out to be good it may be the instrument cluster and or the body computer.

I'm sending you some schematics on the instrument cluster and body computer.

https://www.realworldautomotive.com/forums/uploads/thumbs/174_155523123.gif

https://www.realworldautomotive.com/forums/uploads/thumbs/174_83416775.gif

realworldautomotive.com

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.