Mercury Monterey:

Cutting out as if running out of fuel?

You are not logged in.

# 1  4/21/2012 7:43 PM

victormitchell

Cutting out as if running out of fuel?

I have a 2004 Mercury Monterey min van with under 42,000 miles. The car started to cut out or a loss of power like it was running out of fuel. I had Auto Zone to do a computer check for any codes but none came up. Also the engine light does not come on during this problem. Can anyone help? I am disabled on a very low fixed income and need my car but can not afford to have a dealership check it out. Need help.

Sincerely; Victor Mitchell

# 2  4/22/2012 1:51 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Cutting out as if running out of fuel?

You already did the first step by checking for engine trouble codes.

The next step is to check the fuel pressure. Knowing your service record can help like the last time you had a tune up, or even had any filters changed.

The fuel pressure should be 67 PSI when you turn the key on and then off.

With the engine running it should be about 58 PSI.

If you have never had the fuel filter changed as a maintenance item then it might be a good idea to change the fuel filter first.

The fuel filter is generally a low priced item and if you are handy you should be able to change it your self if you have the experience and the proper tools.

Let us know how you make out. We can continue diagnosing the problem further if needed.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.