Ford F-150 / 250 / 350 / 450:

No Ignition

You are not logged in.

# 1  4/5/2012 4:32 AM

ScotttHuk..

No Ignition

My truck won't start when I turn the ignition, but fires right up when I connect the solenoid. I already replaced the solenoid on both the starter and the one under the hood. I checked the wires running from the cab to the solenoid and they are running fine. Any other ideas of what might be going on?

# 2  4/5/2012 2:48 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: No Ignition

I need to know the year, engine size and model of your truck so I can look at the proper wire schematics.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  2/7/2013 1:15 PM

mjtifft

I also have this problem, everything is working on my 2004 F-150 but when I try to start it I get nothing! Its not drawing any power when I turn the key so I know that the starter is not bad. If I slide under the truck and cross the solenoid it will turn over fine and once it warms up I can shut it off and restart it just fine. Put a new starter in it yesterday and it started right up but this morning it was dead again, any ideas will be welcome. Thanks, oh by the way its a 5.4 engine.

Last edited by mjtifft (2/7/2013 2:06 PM)

# 4  2/7/2013 4:35 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

This sounds like it could be a bad ignition switch.

The next time it won't start have someone turn the key to start and you check to see if you have current at the solenoid. If you don't have current back track the wire to the starter relay. You should have the ignition switch current at the relay if not then go to the ignition switch.

With the key in the start position you should have battery current going in and the battery current going out on the starter solenoid  (relay) wire.

Let me know how you make out.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.