GMC Suburban:

Trying to find out exactly what transmission my vehicle has.

You are not logged in.

# 1  3/6/2012 5:12 PM

thomas63

Trying to find out exactly what transmission my vehicle has.

I have a 1994 GMC Suburban 1500 4WD 5.7 liter engine. Vin number - 1GKFK16K6RJ746807. I pulled another no. off the bell housing 15671928. I don't know if that is relevant or not.sad  I am a beginning shade tree mechanic not totally devoid of experience. I just replaced an engine in a Crown Vic and am currently driving it around. I would like to know where I can get a manual for just that vehicle.  The Chilton manuals seem to cover way to many models for my experience level. I am retired living on a fixed income so price is a consideration. Any help I can get that gives me a blow by blow account I can cover. I have more then enough ambition just need a little more experience. Thanks in advance.

Tom smile

# 2  3/6/2012 8:16 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Trying to find out exactly what transmission my vehicle has.

There are the choice of two transmissions it's either a 7004R (4L69-4L60E) transmission or a 4L80E. There should be a tag pinned to the case of the transmission that has the transmission type on it.

Most of the time you can go by the shape of the transmission pan to identify the type of transmission.

On your other car you need to get the Ford-Mercury factory service manual for your car. It will give you all of the information you need to do just about anything on your car.

You may be able to find one on Ebay or a site I have used may times for myself is Books4cars.com. Type in your model and the list of manuals will show up it they stock it.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  3/6/2012 11:53 PM

way2old

Hey Tom.  I have some Ford repair DVD's that I might be persuaded to part with.  They are the same ones the dealer used before they went on-line for repairs.  Let me know.  Will sell them very reasonably.  Probably around $20 or possibly less.  Forgot to ask the year of the Vic.  If it is 2000 or newer, no problem.

Last edited by way2old (3/6/2012 11:55 PM)

Being way2old is why I need help from younger minds.
People are like slinkys, not much use but I still smile when I see one stumble down the stairs.

# 4  3/8/2012 6:11 PM

thomas63

I thank you way2old   smile  but the crown vic I have just finished is a 1992  SOOOOOO!!!!  My main concern was the transmission for my suburban. I believe I just received some good info from the Administrator. Thanks again

Tom

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.