Pontiac Grand Am:

97 grand am cranks won't start | Page 3

You are not logged in.

# 21  3/4/2012 4:07 PM

Administrator
Administrator

Re: 97 grand am cranks won't start

It's getting tough trying to diagnose this one without being there.

All I can add at this point is take a fuel sample in a clear glass, and look for signs of contamination.

Other than that, I'm wondering if it's mechanical -- head gasket, or jumped valve timing.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 22  3/4/2012 9:03 PM

squirelscat

Alright. I'll let you know if I figure anything out. Thanks for the help.

# 23  3/17/2012 1:07 AM

squirelscat

Any troubleshooting guide I've been able to find has told me its either wiring harness or ECM. I tested all of the wires I could for resistance no deficiencies noted. I cut open the wiring harness to inspect for improper splices, cuts, abrasions. No deficiencies noted. I was able to find a CHEAP replacement ECM from a junkyard. It got fire about half the time and ran better than the last one when it did start but I got different codes so I suspect that's the reason the car was in the bone yard to begin with. I broke down and bought a new ECM. No trouble codes and it was able to perform all the necessary pre-start component tests but would not start. In the enclosed material it stated the unit "may need programming" so off to a competent shop it goes.

# 24  3/17/2012 4:15 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Did you ever check the back pressure of the exhaust system?

A simple way to check this out is to remove the oxygen sensor from the exhaust system before the catalytic converter. This will relive any back pressure in the exhaust and it may be able to start.

When you have a clogged catalytic converter you get a high pressure in the exhaust. Air going in the engine has to escape through the tail pipe, if the catalytic converter is clogged it can't escape and causes hard/no start conditions and lack of power.

Check it out and let me know how you make out. This is one thing you didn't check out and would need to be ruled out.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 25  6/19/2012 1:32 PM

frank4727

squirelscat wrote:

Any troubleshooting guide I've been able to find has told me its either wiring harness or ECM. I tested all of the wires I could for resistance- no deficiencies noted. I cut open the wiring harness to inspect for improper splices, cuts, abrasions, ect. No deficiencies noted. I was able to find a CHEAP replacement ECM from a junkyard. It got fire about half the time and ran better than the last one when it did start but I got different codes so I suspect that's the reason the car was in the bone yard to begin with. I broke down and bought a new ECM. No trouble codes and it was able to perform all the necessary pre-start component tests but would not start. In the enclosed material it stated the unit "may need programming" so off to a competent shop it goes.

2001 Gran Am with all these starting problems was solved by replacing cam sensor.

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.