Honda Accord:

Flashing engine light & jerk

You are not logged in.

# 1  2/22/2012 10:11 PM

narasimhak

Flashing engine light & jerk

Hi,
I have 2001 Honda Accord bought a week back from a dealer.
I see that " Check Engine " light flashes & Drive "D-4" flashes & there is a jerk even when the car is stopped waiting for a green signal at traffic lights. This happens rarely, specially when you are climbing up a hill.
I went to the mechanic & he diagnosed for codes but he came back telling me there is no problem and no codes stored. What should be my next step?

Thanks, Narasimha

# 2  2/22/2012 10:17 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Flashing engine light & jerk

If you just bought the car a week ago and the Check engine light is coming on then you should bring the car back to the place where you bought it from because there should be some sort of warranty on the vehicle and the repairs should be under their warranty.

The drive D4 flashing could be a transmission problem and should be looked into by the dealer mechanic.

The dealer has a special scanner that can help the mechanic diagnosis the problem easier.

If you need more help then get back to us and we can diagnosis the problem further.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  2/22/2012 10:35 PM

narasimhak

Hi,
Thanks for the quick response. As mentioned, the dealer mechanic scanned for the codes but found no codes.
As mentioned, it comes a few times a day. Say I drive 50 miles. I see it 2 or 3 times and there is jerk & D4 goes off and on. "Check engine", goes on and off 2-3 times.
What do you say?

# 4  2/22/2012 11:02 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

When the D4 light flashes this usually means there is a malfunction in the transmission. It sounds like there hoping it goes away before they have to put a transmission in it.

If they keep denying the problem bring the car to another Honda dealer and have it diagnosed and see what they say. If they confirm the problem then go back to the dealer where you bought the car from and demand they fix the problem before you have to get the Honda tech support involved.

There is a article on this type of problem you are having, I found it in the service bulletins folder from the Alldata information website. I have listed it below.

SOURCE:
Honda Service News April 2004

TITLE:
Don't Test-Drive With the MIL or D Indicator On

APPLIES TO:
1998-04 Accords, 1996-04 Civics, 1997-04 CR-Vs, 1999-04 Odysseys, 2003-04 Pilots.

SERVICE TIP:
When the PCM detects a malfunction that turns on the MIL, the D indicator, or both, it can revert to a backup mode or "limp home" mode. This mode differs depending on the A/T design, the cause of the malfunction or DTC, or both.

When you test-drive a vehicle, make sure you clear all A/T DTCs first. You can't evaluate the A/T if the MIL, the D indicator, or both indicators are on.

In backup mode, some A/Ts let you manually shift while others only let you shift to certain gears that apply to its particular backup mode. Here are some common symptoms you get in backup mode:

Harsh upshifting and downshifting

Vehicle starts in 2nd gear and then shifts to 4th gear

Vehicle starts in 2nd gear and then shifts to 3rd gear

When an A/T is in backup mode, customers commonly complain about low power or lousy acceleration because the vehicle starts in 2nd or 4th gear.

Keep us informed on your progress.

realworldautomotive.com

# 5  2/23/2012 1:12 AM

narasimhak

Thanks a lot.
I will get it checked with another dealer and get back to you.

Thanks again for your valuable suggestions.
Narasimha

# 6  2/23/2012 4:48 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Please keep us informed on your progress.

realworldautomotive.com

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.