Buick Regal:

Braking and Traction Control system issues.

You are not logged in.

# 1  2/21/2012 6:33 PM

mbrackey

Braking and Traction Control system issues.

Ok I have a slew of problems going on with my braking and traction control systems on my 1997 Buick Regal GS.

Symptoms include:

Massive loss of brake fluid.

Random locking of my breaks when coasting.

A rattling sound coming from what sounds likes my suspension when i apply the break w/ the electronic traction control enabled.

Low Traction light constantly on while driving.

Brake and Anti-Lock lights permanently on a few second after Electronic Traction control is disabled.

Prior to turning Electronic Traction Control off my engine accelerates very sluggishly and misses frequently.

A pre-existing problem prior to the more recent issues was that if i were to engage the drive or reverse gears to quickly after starting the car I would have EXTREMELY sluggish performance, so much so that i had to run at 3,000+ rpm's to maintain 30 mph. This problem could also be repeated while driving at highway speeds when previously having no problems the engine would begin to miss hard 3 or 4 times and then sluggish performance would start again. To remedy this I would have to pull over. Stop the car and then restart it. Let it run for a moment and then I could drive again. This is not a common problem though and I theorize that the above issues are a direct cause of this problem.

Recent Repairs:
Tie-rod ends replaced (not sure if it was inner or outer ends)
New spark plugs and wires (all oem)
New break pads.
New front tires.

Some advice given to me on the issues were as follows.

Check for a brake line leak since I am not seeing any puddling of break fluid and since I have checked the master cylinder and found no residue of brake fluid. Also I need to check my ABS sensor. I have not been able to afford to have an alignment done since the tie rods have been replaced so I know that this is a problem and will continue to lead to accelerated tread wear on my tires. Also all of these issues have led to a serious decrease in fuel economy. When I purchased the vehicle six years ago I got 20-22 mpg in town and 30-35 mpg on the highway. Now I get 11-13 in town and maybe 17 on the highway if I am lucky.

Any advice on where to start would be amazing.

# 2  2/22/2012 5:12 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Braking and Traction Control system issues.

There is a service bulletin on brake fluid loss I have listed it below.

You need to have some one put a scanner on the car to see what trouble codes are coming up. Repair the trouble codes after you find the brake fluid leak.

The first thing to do is to find the brake fluid leak and then get into the electronics of the brake system.

Year: 1997
Make: BUICK
Model: REGAL
Year of Recall: '97
Type of Report: Vehicle
Potential Number of Units Affected: 4387
Summary:

Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles. The right front brake pipe can contact the power steering assembly causing the brake line to wear through.

This condition can result in the loss of brake fluid and eventual loss of half of the vehicle brake system.

Dealers will inspect for proper clearance between the brake line and power steering assembly. Assemblies found to be out of position will be repositioned and all assemblies secured to maintain proper clearances. Additionally, those brake lines found to have been damaged will be replaced and properly routed.

Owner notification began during November 1997. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Buick at 1-800-521-7300. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-800-424-9393.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.