Honda Civic:

Honda Civic 2001 1.7

You are not logged in.

# 1  2/9/2012 6:16 PM

samo

Honda Civic 2001 1.7

Transmission pulls for awhile then quits if car is cut off then right back on it starts pulling again like nothing happen, it changes gears very good no slipping.

# 2  2/10/2012 3:23 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Honda Civic 2001 1.7

This sounds confusing the way you are explaining this problem. It sounds like the engine is losing power and not the transmission.

Check the transmission fluid to see if it smells or looks burned. If it is then you need to replace your transmission. If fluid is pink and clear follow the next steps.

You are saying that the transmission shifts fine and doesn't slip, but the car doesn't move until you restart the car.

I would check the fuel filter and fuel pressure first before I jump to any transmission problems.

Is there any check engine light on? If the light is on check for any trouble codes and fix any that may come up.

A clogged catalytic converter can cause symptoms like this. Checking the back pressure in the exhaust can help diagnosis this issue.

Try these suggestions and get back to me with the results. We can go on from there.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  3/2/2012 7:44 PM

samo

No, let me explain its been awhile the transmission slips out of gear while anywhere from 20 mph-80 mph why when  turn the engine off and restart the engine the transmission starts to pull again only to do the same thing over. Troubleshooting codes or P0730 and P0740.

# 4  3/2/2012 9:23 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

The PO730 code is a hydraulic problem. It could be a shift valve, valve body, and internal seal problem. The transmission needs to be diagnosed by taking a pressure test of the transmission. A mechanic can determine the problem by reading the results of the pressure tests.

The PO750 is a torque converter lock up problem that could be related to the torque converter, lockup solenoid or internal seal problem.

This is something that needs to be done by a professional.

Depending how long this is going on the internal damage could be beyond repair and the transmission would need to be rebuilt or replaced.

realworldautomotive.com

# 5  7/4/2012 12:22 PM

Jadokoix

samo wrote:

Transmission pulls for awhile then quits if car is cut off then right back on it starts pulling again like nothing happen. It changes gears very good no slipping.

I don't get it... what do you mean by pull for a while and cuts off?

# 6  7/4/2012 10:44 PM

Administrator
Administrator

Lot of experience with Honda transmissions. Bottom line, the mass majority of the time, if the transmission is slipping (fluid full) -- it's time for a new or rebuilt unit.

realworldautomotive.com

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.