Honda Civic:

No power

You are not logged in.

# 1  1/14/2012 5:39 PM

chkreamer

No power

sad I have a 1995 Honda Civic I have no power I removed the head and put new valve seals and head gaskets. I have tried to readjust the timing. I use to get 35 mpg and now I'm down to 24 mpg. when I come to a stop the engine tries to stall out, I have to put it in neutral to keep running. I thought I had a bent valve so I pulled the heads off again to check but that was not it. The exhaust smells bad not sure if it is burning too rich. Also burning a lot of oil.

Last edited by chkreamer (1/14/2012 5:51 PM)

# 2  1/14/2012 10:12 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: No power

How many miles are on the engine when you did the valve job? You might have been better off changing the engine if the miles were to high. Doing a valve job on a tired engine can cause blow by at the worn compression rings causing blue smoke (burning oil). This could also contribute to the lack of power and loss of fuel mileage.

Blowing blue smoke is a problem. I would check the compression test of each cylinder and then do a wet compression test to see what kind of changes occur on each cylinder. A big change in the compression readings can tell you if there is a problem with the piston rings.

If compression is off a little it could be the valve timing could be off a tooth. This could affect your power problem and fuel mileage. The worn compression rings would show up on the wet compression test. This could contribute to the loss of power, blue smoke and poor mileage.

Do the tests and get back to me with the results, we can go on from there.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  1/14/2012 10:31 PM

chkreamer

there is no compression. have engine apart replacing ring and reseating. is there anything I should do while i have apart?

# 4  1/15/2012 6:02 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Just follow proper R&R procedures and stay clean of any dirt and contaminates.

Pay close attention to the install procedure for the timing belt, it needs to be exact.

If you need the proper specs you can get them at ALLDATAdiy.com.

For a small fee you can get all the information on your car for a full year.

realworldautomotive.com

# 5  1/16/2012 5:52 PM

Administrator
Administrator

If it's burning a significant amount of oil (blue smoke), rings won't fix it. The engine should be replaced, or rebuilt at a qualified machine shop.

If there is "no compression", it's not from the rings. Be sure valves are not bent, and not seating. And be sure you're installing the timing belt correctly, and adjusting the ignition timing correctly.

realworldautomotive.com

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.