Chevrolet Lumina:

Blinkers and Brake Lights not working

You are not logged in.

# 1  11/18/2011 6:43 PM

jolenes03

Blinkers and Brake Lights not working

I have a 97 chevy lumina L/S, and have no blinkers, and no brake lights.  I have done the following troubleshooting: replaced the flasher, checked all possible fuses and bulbs. The window brake light works, the hazard button is broken off. I have no idea what to do next! I need serious help. I did notice that the car was wired for trailer lights, and am not sure if that could be an issue. When I turn the blinkers on the signal on the dash does not come on and neither do the outside lights, but when I turn a corner the signal clicks off like normal. If you need more info for helping me solve this mystery contact me and I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge. Thanks, Jolene

# 2  11/18/2011 9:22 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Blinkers and Brake Lights not working

Did you check fuses 30, 5, 23?

The switch will operate manually but it doesn't guarantee the electrical is working properly.

You are going to have to back track the wiring to see where you don't have electrical current. Check for current at the fuses first then check the signal switch for current. You may have a faulty signal switch.

Because the third brake light works it will probably rule out a bad brake switch, but check it anyway.

If you need further help, get back to us and we will diagnosis the problem further.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  11/19/2011 3:52 AM

jolenes03

Re: Blinkers and Brake Lights not working

Well everything that is attached to the signal switch works properly, I have the taillights now rewired so the trailer hook ups are not attached any longer and found that did not solve the brake lights or the blinker problem.  I am not sure where the brake switch is located?  All fuses have been checked and only found the hazard fuse is blown and needs replacing along with the left and right hand spot lamp (S.E.O) fuses are not installed So of course those aren't working.  the next step I am taking is going to be removing the steering wheel and checking the hazard button and seeing if that is causing a problem with the blinkers at least.  Thank you for the quick response I will keep you updated with the progress and let you know if and when I fix the problem.  I am going to double check the fuses you also suggested and see if I missed something.  Thank you again.

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.