Lincoln LS:

2006 Lincoln LS AdvancTrac Warning Light

You are not logged in.

# 1  11/18/2011 5:42 PM

AZ Sea Dog

2006 Lincoln LS AdvancTrac Warning Light

I own a 2006 Lincoln LS.
I recently had an overheating problem that was caused by a faulty thermostat and a bad heater valve.
I had the service work done by my local Lincoln dealer.
On the way home the AdvanceTrac warning light (amber) came on and displayed the message to 'Check AdvancTrac.'
I returned the car to the dealer and after several hours of testing the determined I needed a new battery.  I had the battery replaced and returned home.
As I turned in my driveway the warning light again activated.
I called the dealer and they ask me to return to the dealership.
Today (Friday) they acknowledged that they cannot pinpoint the problem.
They returned my car and told me to bring it back on Monday so they can "tear it down' to find the problem. 
As I left the dealership the warning light started flashing and the message center again displayed 'Check AdvanceTrac.'
The dealer suggested that I might need a new 'module.'
Has anyone got any idea what the problem could be?
Is the car safe to drive until repairs are completed?
I now live in the desert and really no longer have a need for AdvanceTrac.  Is there any way to just disable it?
Thanks...

Last edited by AZ Sea Dog (11/18/2011 5:44 PM)

# 2  11/18/2011 8:52 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: 2006 Lincoln LS AdvancTrac Warning Light

The Advance Trac system consists of four systems working together. This is the description from the Ford website.

Anti-lock Brake System (ABS):

Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) – this feature regulates brake pressure to help prevent wheel lock-up when trying to stop the vehicle.

Traction Control:

When the system detects a loss of traction, this quickly responds by reducing engine power when necessary and selectively applying brake force to the slipping wheel while transferring power to the opposite wheel. It helps give drivers a more seamless and controlled driving experience.

Yaw Control:

This component helps drivers avoid skidding and fishtailing. When understeer (which leads to skidding) or oversteer (which leads to fishtailing) is detected, the system selectively applies individual brakes and modifies engine power to maximize control.
Vehicle Roll Motion Sensor (a Ford exclusive)
Ford-exclusive AdvanceTrac® with RSC™ utilizes a gyroscopic sensor to help monitor vehicle roll motion approximately 150 times per second. If it detects the possibility of a rollover, the system automatically engages AdvanceTrac® with RSC™ to help keep all four wheels safely on the ground. This feature is especially beneficial when a vehicle is fully loaded.

Stability Control Plus Choice:

On/Off Switch – For added security: AdvanceTrac® with RSC™ is automatically engaged each time the vehicle is started. However, a center-console button allows drivers to turn the system off on the rare occasion, such as during low-speed off-roading, or in deep snow or mud, when they may want the wheels to spin freely to help the tires "dig" for traction.

An Extra Measure of Control:

The Ford AdvanceTrac® with RSC™ system adds another dimension of advanced technologies and software to monitor and control a vehicle’s roll motion during extreme maneuvers. AdvanceTrac® with RSC™ continuously calculates if the vehicle may be approaching a situation where rollover is probable and takes additional action to help enhance rollover resistance.

As you can see this is a complex system and could be very difficult to fix, if the Ford dealership couldn't find the problem then I would find another dealer to bring the car to. The mechanic should be able to read the scanner and find the problem according to the trouble code that may be set in the systems computer. Because the system incorporates four different systems it makes this a complex problem and can be difficult to find if there are no trouble codes stored in the computer.

Look in your owner's manual to see if there is a switch on the dash that turns of the AdvanceTrac system. As I have read there may be a switch to turn the system off according to the make and model of the system.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  11/19/2011 3:43 AM

AZ Sea Dog

First, thanks for the reply.  At least now I know what to look for/ask for.
The 2006 LS does have a switch in the console to deactivate or turn off the AdvanceTrac.  However, it has no effect on the system when the 'Check AdvanceTrac' message is displayed.
Would you offer an opinion as to the safety and drivability of the car with the 'Check AdvanceTrac' warning?

Thanks again for the timely and detailed response.  I appreciate it.

Last edited by AZ Sea Dog (11/19/2011 3:44 AM)

# 4  11/19/2011 4:38 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

The Advance Trac system is a combination of systems that make up a safety feature that will help the driver avoid crashes and hazardous weather road conditions.

If any one or combinations of systems have a malfunction in the then in most cases the anti lock brake system will be disengaged. The normal brake system will work properly and you probably won't notice anything wrong, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed.

Find a good Continental dealer with a good reputation and talk to the service manager to see if one of the better mechanics can work on the car.

Hopefully the problem won't be an expensive one and with any luck depending on the mileage and year of the car it could be under warranty if your lucky.

realworldautomotive.com

# 5  11/19/2011 2:27 PM

AZ Sea Dog

I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question, but could you define 'Continental Dealer?' 
I live in the desert of NW Arizona and we have one Ford/Lincoln dealer.
The next closest dealership is in Las Vegas...100 miles to the northwest.
Again, thanks for the helpful and timely response.

# 6  11/19/2011 3:54 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

I'm sorry for the confusion; I was referring to a Lincoln Ford Mercury dealer.

If that is the only dealer then that's where you have to go.

Your other option is to find a specialty shop that dedicates its time to computer diagnostics.

realworldautomotive.com

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.