Mercury Grand Marquis:

Fuel pump does not come on w/key

You are not logged in.

#1 11/6/2011 5:58 PM

meheath93

Fuel pump does not come on w/key

My 1999 Marquis will not start. It turns over fine. When it does start i can hear the fuel pump run just before ignition. When i cant hear the pump the car wont start. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mercury Grand Marquis Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 11/7/2011 1:47 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Fuel pump does not come on w/key

It could be as simple as a fuel pump relay. There are other components involved that can also cause this condition.

If your crank shaft sensor is malfunctioning it will affect the operation of the fuel pump circuit.

When you crank the engine the crank shaft sensor sends a signal to the PCM to energize the fuel pump relay to send power to the fuel pump.

If the crank shaft sensor sends an improper signal then the PCM won't energize the fuel pump relay to power the pump.

Check to see if you have a 1 second prime signal at the test connector. If you don't have a 1 second prime voltage at the test connector then it could be the crank sensor, fuel pump relay, faulty wiring or a faulty PCM.

If you don't have the diagnostic skills then I suggest you bring the car to your local automotive professional to diagnosis the problem. He has the special tools to diagnosis this kind of problem.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else
Mercury Grand Marquis Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.