Jeep Grand Cherokee:

cranks but does not start, gauges do not work.

You are not logged in.

# 1  9/27/2011 1:38 PM

frank4727

cranks but does not start, gauges do not work.

1996 jeep grand cherokee, 5.2 liter. Jeep would not crank over. Starter motor replaced. Now
vehicle cranks but will not start. Gauges on dash do not work. Low fuel light comes on, but
vehicle has 3/4 tank of gas.

# 2  9/27/2011 3:46 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: cranks but does not start, gauges do not work.

Check all fuses first.

Check to see if you have spark at the spark plugs.

If you have spark; then check to see if you have fuel pressure.

If you can get someone to put a scanner on the vehicle then they can see if any trouble codes are stored in the computer memory.

Try these suggestions first and get back to me with your results when you can.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  9/27/2011 5:29 PM

frank4727

TechHelp2 wrote:

Check all fuses first.

Check to see if you have spark at the spark plugs.

If you have spark; then check to see if you have fuel pressure.

If you can get someone to put a scanner on the vehicle then they can see if any trouble codes are stored in the computer memory.

Try these suggestions first and get back to me with your results when you can.

All fuses check out OK. Scanner could not communicate with ECM.

# 4  9/27/2011 9:47 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

The first thing I would look at is all the power feeds to the PCM and all the grounds that going to the PCM and all the body and engine grounds making sure they are all connected securely and are have no corrosion in any of the connections.

Check the grounds behind the engine going to the body for proper connection and are not loose.

If there are not any bad connections or corrosion on PCM plugs and connections then you might be looking at a bad PCM. If all power and grounds on the PCM are good and have the proper voltages and if the scanner still can't communicate with the PCM then you could be looking at a faulty PCM.

Check the voltages out and get back to me with your results.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 5  9/30/2011 5:46 PM

frank4727

TechHelp2 wrote:

The first thing I would look at is all the power feeds to the PCM and all the grounds that going to the PCM and all the body and engine grounds making sure they are all connected securely and are have no corrosion in any of the connections.

Check the grounds behind the engine going to the body for proper connection and are not loose.

If there are not any bad connections or corrosion on PCM plugs and connections then you might be looking at a bad PCM. If all power and grounds on the PCM are good and have the proper voltages and if the scanner still can't communicate with the PCM then you could be looking at a faulty PCM.

Check the voltages out and get back to me with your results.

Happy days are finally here. We replaced the PCM and the jeep is alive again.
Thanks for the support and ideas.

# 6  11/12/2014 1:17 AM

Pwynterz

MY Jeep Grand Cherokee is a 2000  This should work for 1998 - 2004
To the point. If your Jeep Cherokee will not start and no gas gauge with the anti thief light is on. You can not read the diagnostic codes.  Then check the CRANK SHAFT POSITION SENOR YOU CAN DO THIS BY UNPLUGING THE TREE WIRE PLUG. IF GAS GAUGE LIGHT GOES OUT AND THE GAS NEEDLE WORKS. THIS MEANS THE CRANK SHAFT POSITION SENOR IS BAD. REPLACE AND HAVE A GREAT DAY. smile

# 7  8/9/2015 12:03 AM

2004JeepGC

Pwynterz was right on the money! I did the test by disconnecting the CSP, replaced the sensor and it cranked right up.  I recommend watching the YouTube video on how to do it from under the dash and it will make the job even easier!  Thanks Pwynterz!

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.